Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a black 03' Cobra with 10K miles on it. It is completely stock, 100%. I have a few questions for you fella's.

First, I have read alot about "cooling mods".... What exactly is this? Does the 03'-04' Cobra have problems with keeping cool? Should I be looking out for something on my car?

Second, I'm thinking of getting a Whipple. I want to run a descent amount of boost but I dont wanna cross that line that divides street car from extreme. Any do's or don't's that you guys have learned from trial and error?

Third, I have come to like the quiteness of the stock 03'.... :dunno2: Is it possible to make good power with the Whipple and maybe keep the stock exhaust setup? I'm not opposed to aftermarket exhaust, I just have grown kind of fond of the mellow sounding factory exhaust... Has anyone tried that setup..?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.... :tip:

J

·
Banned
330 Posts
I just picked up a black 03' Cobra with 10K miles on it. It is completely stock, 100%. I have a few questions for you fella's.

First, I have read alot about "cooling mods".... What exactly is this? Does the 03'-04' Cobra have problems with keeping cool? Should I be looking out for something on my car?

Second, I'm thinking of getting a Whipple. I want to run a descent amount of boost but I dont wanna cross that line that divides street car from extreme. Any do's or don't's that you guys have learned from trial and error?

Third, I have come to like the quiteness of the stock 03'.... :dunno2: Is it possible to make good power with the Whipple and maybe keep the stock exhaust setup? I'm not opposed to aftermarket exhaust, I just have grown kind of fond of the mellow sounding factory exhaust... Has anyone tried that setup..?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.... :tip:

J
Not to be an ass but ALL of your questions can be answered IN-DEPTH by using the search option and a little bit of your time. None the less since I took the time to respond I'll answer your questions.

I just picked up a black 03' Cobra with 10K miles on it. It is completely stock, 100%.
Congrats on your purchase, welcome to the "mustang elite".

The tolerances inside the cylinder wall for what ever reason in the 03/04 become very tight at extremely high speeds (5 gear+) this can over time cause the piston to expand and make contact with the cyl wall or other catastrophic things if held at a high speed for prolonged periods of time. This is rare but in some few cases it has happened causing what you can image is a fair amount of damage to the motor.
The reason for this is the drivers side rear cooling jacket is not connected to the rest of the system causing hot coolant to pool in the back 2 cylinders. This is elimated through a few "kits" that are on the market that connect the back of the driver side cooling jacket to the rest of the cooling system completing the loop instead of having it dead end on that side.
This by no means gaurentees you can cruise at 200mph for miles but it does bring down the temps and elimate the puddling of coolant in those cylinders which argueably will allow you to reach higher speeds and/or stay at those speeds longer.

The "average" cobra now a-days has 450-500rwhp. Many people including myself daily drive cars with 500-800rwhp and the car is very streetable. If you can get a solid tune your "non-boost" drivability should be no different from the stock 375rwhp to 1000rwhp. Only when you go into boost (which if you notice isnt very often) will you begin to experience the extra horse power and in that case you'll just have issues keeping the car straight or from spinning the tires all over the place.
Don't go crazy with aggressive cams or run a race gas setup all the time and you'll have a perfectly streetable car up to a good 700-900rwhp with turbos or in the case of a decent whipple 600-700rwhp.
Theres not really any bad things you can do to these cars that wont make them street drivable. Like any car don't get a rough suspention or a super thin wall tire, basic stuff like that.

The stock setup WILL rob you of power, the stock H-pipe isnt too bad but the cats are good for 15rwhp easy and the mufflers are fairly restrictive, plus all that weights a good 50-75 or so pounds over a full aftermarket exhaust setup.
The two quietest muffler system for these cars and argueably the best sounding are the FR500 exhaust from ford and the magnaflow exhaust. You will get a free flowing exhaust that wont rob you of any power, and a deep rumble sound that wont be annoying or extremely loud. I personaly prefer a magnaflow off-road catless X-pipe /w magnaflow mufflers (what I had on my car before the turbo) and I like fairly quiet cars with a tasteful rumble and deep WOT roar...

Good luck and if you have any questions try searching first, if after a good amount of time searching you're still looking for info feel free to ask away.

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
factory exhaust has no sound really~ once you put a nice catback on there you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner.
Have to agree, and as you increase boost and blower size, it will only become that much more of a restriction. I'm on my third Mustang since 1995, and I can't believe the difference a good C/B makes.

Welcome to the community, and welcome to the board. You'll find this is the greatest resource anywhere for these cars, and possibly the greatest resource in any automotive community online-

·
Registered
292 Posts

If you don't do wide open throttle runs through 5th gear, or alot of road racing you are fine. However, doing a cooling mod if/when the tranny has to come out for a clutch it would be wise to install one.

You need to do alot of reading to answer this for your self. what "extreme" means is purely subjective around here. You can run very safe in the 500-600 range with not alot of effort or being "extreme." Start reading.

The exhaust on these cars is not that restrictive, so if you like it don't change it. You certainly can make 500-600 hp with a SC upgrade without an exhaust upgrade.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts