Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spoke with Lee Bender of C&L Performance today and have an update on their new 4.6 upper intake. Lee had three different versions that were tested by Blake Walker of Walker Dyno

The intake was designed to work in concert with an aftermarket throttle body to maximize performance. Keep in mind that this is a totally new design of the upper intake, not a modified factory piece. C&L used good airflow principles just as head porters do when they designed this part (btw, the intake flows 580 CFM).

Testing was done on two different cars, each with different mods, to simulate the average Mustang. Car number one was an '02 GT equipped with a C&L mass air meter and True Flow inlet pipe, a timing adjuster, U/D pulleys, O/R X, and Magnaflow cat back. This car baselined at 263 hp and 302 ft/lbs. After bolting on a 75 mm throttle body and C&L upper intake plenum, this car gained 14 hp and 17 ft/lbs with big torque gains throughout the midrange. With a 70 mm throttle body the car gained 11 hp and 12 ft lbs. These are very impressive gains, and are well worth the retail price of $199 (our actual selling price is slightly lower).

The second car had a K&N cone filter, stock mass air meter, stock throttle body, U/D pulleys, a timing adjuster, an O/R H and stock cat back. This car baselined at 259 hp and 301 ft/lbs torque. After installing a 75 mm t. body and the C&L upper intake, this car gained 8 hp and 7 ft/lbs with nice gains across the board. The same car with a 70 mm t. body gained 5-6 hp and 4-5 ft/lbs.

Comparing car one and two, you can see that with better breathing from the C&L mass air meter/inlet pipe and better flow of the Magnaflow catback, gains were significantly greater than a with a more restrictive inlet and exhaust system as car two had (C&L has a supercharged car lined up for dyno testing and that may prove very interesting).

C&L plans to begin shipping the new intake to dealers within three weeks (we already placed our order).

Incidentally, they also tested one car with a larger throttle body but with the stock upper intake and the car only gained 1-2 hp. Additional information, including design details and dyno charts will be available on C&L's web site soon (dyno charts will be on our web site within a few days: www.crmotorsports.com).

·
Registered
126 Posts
wana see some pics!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
wanna hear from some of you guys if it really works :). What will the opening be on the T/B side. Are they gonna sell them to match T/B's? IE 75mm T/B with 75mm upper intake? If your adding the 75 mm T/B and upper intake, your saying both combined added 8 hp and 7 tq. What did the upper do by itself?

·
Registered
131 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GT281
Will it be C.A.R.B. exempt, legal in all states ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's will be the only way I'll buy it...

only a calli person think like this..................

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the questions. I will have to get back to you on the CARB deal.

I am not sure if they tested their upper w/ stock T body just by itself but I will see. They did however, test a 75 T body on a stock upper and only gained 1-2 HP. When they added their upper intake w/ T body they gained quite a bit more as mentioned above.

Yes, the upper intake does match a 75 mm T body and has a consistent inner diameter.

Retail pricing is $199 and our price is $189. We are accepting orders now and C&L expects to begin shipping to us on approximately Sept 8th. We have already ordered a quantity of these but have already sold over half - we can order more if demand is there.

We will try to post pics and dyno sheets in a few days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm from Ontario Canada, and our E-police are out all the time sticking their probes up our tailpipes, Ontarios highway traffic act allows for equipment that is c.a.r.b. exempt as a guideline.
Its not worth the very high fines to run anything else.

96stang46 said:
Originally posted by GT281
Will it be C.A.R.B. exempt, legal in all states ?

That's will be the only way I'll buy it...

only a calli person think like this..................

·
Registered
131 Posts
i was only jokin' around my roomate is from cali

·
Registered
131 Posts
sorry i was off topic i will stop now

·
Registered
119 Posts
it looks like it gives the same #' as if you was to just port you stock upper intake plenum? of course your cost to buy one is alot cheaper then it would be to have your stock intake ported bye a shop.

and anothere diffrence is will it be carb legal I guess
couse the stock one will pass the visual

looks nice though

·
Registered
492 Posts
Pass the visual. HAH I say. Live in PA, car registered in LA. No need for inspections :D Thats GOT to be on my list (a small one, but still a list) of things left to do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I spent 3 hours grinding out my stock upper intake similar to the MM&FF article. I didnt dyno before and after but it seems to sound different, intake and exhaust, and seems seat of the pants to have more pull from 2800 rpm. I shoulda hit the dyno. oh well !

Note: the 97 upper intake is different internally than the 99 + shown in the mag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts