Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a new start n charge alt with uprgaded wire and a 3.2 pulley after having failing alternator symptoms. its like i still have the old one on. idle it drops into the high 11v and when i cruise it goes back up to 13.5. had the battery tested and it tested good. they said the alt was failing and was only outting out 30amps. what else could be wrong if its not the alt or battery? this is my old thread before i got my new alt http://www.modularfords.com/f17/voltage-problem-again-180821/

· Registered
402 Posts
I had low voltage at idle when i went with the 3.2 alternator pulley. If i barely raised the idle it was charging over 13 volts. I eneded up getting a alternator pulley between the stock and the 3.2 pulley. So does it charge normal if you raise the idle?

just installed a new start n charge alt with uprgaded wire and a 3.2 pulley after having failing alternator symptoms. its like i still have the old one on. idle it drops into the high 11v and when i cruise it goes back up to 13.5. had the battery tested and it tested good. they said the alt was failing and was only outting out 30amps. what else could be wrong if its not the alt or battery? this is my old thread before i got my new alt http://www.modularfords.com/f17/voltage-problem-again-180821/

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's normal as soon as I hit the gas..

· Registered
1,928 Posts
I dont know I dont work for them lol.

It took me 3 hours to fit the alternator from scratch.....not a big compromise considering it will most likely be the last alternator you ever buy.
Understood but I recall you posting in another thread 6-8 weeks ago to wait until the kit is completed so the buyer doesn't have to go through the fab. work that you did. I seem to also recall you saying the Alt. shop is working on making it plug and play. Just trying to get the fact straight for the OP so they don't think it's a R&R deal when it isn't.

· Registered
375 Posts
Understood but I recall you posting in another thread 6-8 weeks ago to wait until the kit is completed so the buyer doesn't have to go through the fab. work that you did. I seem to also recall you saying the Alt. shop is working on making it plug and play. Just trying to get the fact straight for the OP so they don't think it's a R&R deal when it isn't.
Gotcha. I havent spoken to Adam since I made my purchase. I understand he's a busy guy, and doesnt own a cobra.
I gave him the measurements I took on my install to put a kit together....not sure if he followed through.

· Registered
447 Posts
sub. I'm having some strange electrical issues. Will be digging into it tomorrow.

· Registered
4,524 Posts
Gotta be the pulley. Most guys either overspin the crap out of them with a stock pulley and 6lb lower, or overcompensate by underspinning it with huge alt pulleys. Find a 3" and you should be good.

· Registered
3 Posts
Gotcha. I havent spoken to Adam since I made my purchase. I understand he's a busy guy, and doesnt own a cobra.
I gave him the measurements I took on my install to put a kit together....not sure if he followed through.
Would you be willing to pm me those specs? I have the alt and want to throw it in on the next sunny day. Be nice if I could do the fab work in one shot. :help:

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I installed a Start N Charge with upgraded wire a few years ago and have had zero issues. It's a nice piece and the wire is literally about as beefy as you get with an in-line fuse just like a welder. The problem seems to be users and their pulley settings under or over spinning the ALT.

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does metco sale a 3.0" pulley? I dread pulling the alt back out to change the pulley....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.