Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHM has relased their new Carbon Fiber hood for the '03 Cobra.

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/mustang_cobra_2003_pg1.shtml

At $1495.00 I think it is a tad steep but if you really want to save some weight, this is worth it IMHO. Looks like they are gonna have some pretty sweet parts coming out for the '03s here pretty soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
man, thats expensive, but this thing really needs to lose weight. I would give it some time, and wait for the realistic people to put one out for much cheaper. Is it even painted at that price?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what the weight savings would be. My guesstimate would be about 1/4 of the stock hood's weight. I'm not sure if it comes painted or not. I'd tend to lean towards not.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Not gonna sell too many of them..That's for sure.
$1500 then paint it. I'd rather put the driver on a diet.

jim v.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim Vaccaro said:
Not gonna sell too many of them..That's for sure.
$1500 then paint it. I'd rather put the driver on a diet.

jim v.
Haha, true. I love being 20 and only 170lbs. Gotta love young life and a good metabolism ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
almost rice...but maybe nice on black or DSG? My bother just ordered his DSG, so maybe he can be a guinea pig

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a DSG.... everybody chip in and i'll post pics of it!! :D

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
There are a lot of cheaper and better ways to loss weight and gain performance also. I can't see that hood weighing more then 5 lbs less if that. The factory hood is already composite.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I wanted a C/F hood for my truck, but every hood out there weighs more than the stock aluminum one, so why bother.

·
Registered
95 Posts
toofast4u said:
There are a lot of cheaper and better ways to loss weight and gain performance also. I can't see that hood weighing more then 5 lbs less if that. The factory hood is already composite.
I don't know about that, when I pick up that hood, it feels a lot heavier than any piece of carbon fiber I've lifted. They say its composite, but what does that mean? Kind of like the seats are made of leather and sweade . . .

·
Registered
661 Posts
That is crazy , Better off putting a font end in, frame kit , They think its gold ? nitro

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Steve Snake Dri said:
Cal Mustang has GT style CF hoods for ~$500. They weigh 8 lbs. The stock hood is around 42 lbs.
I find it really hard to imagine the stock composite hood weights 42 Ibs and the CF weights 8 Ibs. I am not saying it doesn't, but that sound like a lot and I don't think it feels that heavy, but would have to remove it to tell for sure. But, for 1500 I would do suspension components first they will definitely save more weight, which most is un-sprung weight, and at the same time give a substantial performance improvement also. Some might have a problem with it being rice, but if I was to pay 1500 for a CF hood I wouldn't paint it and would leave the CF look. Also remember paint adds a lot more weight then you think.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i think 34 pounds is a preety decent drop. If your gonna change the suspension, your really not gonna get a drop like that unless you go to a tubular K member I think. Seems like if the price was better it would be hot to lose 50lbs by just popping in a lightweight battery and the CF hood.
I'm interested in hearing this board's thoughts on tubular K members. A lot of people have different opinions. If im using the car as a daily driver, should I shy away from a tubular K-member? If not, which one should I go with. I think the best are MM and griggs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say a larger % of people who drive there mustangs at open track events and have installed after market k-members either use Griggs or Maximum Motorsport. I have the Griggs setup in my car now and I love it. I went with Griggs because I feel there the best (JMO) and there the lighter of the two.
I know the Griggs K-member comes in at 23 lbs. And from what I know you can use the stock control arm.

Rob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts