Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SVTperformance site is a wonderful tool for information, but I think for a question of this nature, I'm in the right place.

It's always been assumed that a car which is new new doesn't make the same power that a broken-in car makes.

In our history, we always just assumed that the world was flat.....until someone questioned "why?".

After researching this subject inbetween homework sessions of Stellar Astronomy and Hipothetical Psychology (It's a helluva lot tougher at 31 than it was at 16 for some reason), I couldn't find anything concrete on the net.

What exactly is the amount of increase once a car is broken in, and what is the threshold where a car is considered to be at max power?

If a stock Cobra with 100 miles comes in at 360rhp/360rtq, what would be the increase when the car reaches 5000 miles?

·
Registered
21 Posts
XL huge snake head on the back

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Can't provide anything other than what I have heard all along, that it has to do with the initial wear and friction losses that cause initial power to be less than what you attain after the moving parts have a chance to wear a bit in the presence of proper lubrication. But then again I could be all wrong about that :D

Bill

G

·
A Broken in motor will run alot! better. Like with any year car....when they get miles on the motor...the motor is looser...free'r moving parts means more horsepower to the rear wheels. The LS1 F bodied cars that run at the track have improved by as much as 2 tenths when they started getting over 10k miles on them. So most of the times and horsepower readings we are seeing, will go up on these Cobras too. So I would say 10 to almost 20 hp is possible. All depending on the build of the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts