Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this up over on the BON board.

Finally had some extra time of the weekend and made a set of CF brake cooling ducts which I had some people inquiring about.

Here's that pic. Tell me what you guys think. This is just what I came up with last night. The unit has 3 layers of CF on it and weighs probably about 3oz.
If you see something you don't like on the design or something else I need to include please post your opinions.

here's a pic of our current aluminum unit. The unit installs the same as this one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why did you use Carbon Fiber if I may ask? How did you determine that it was the best material to use?

What sort of resin did you use?

Dave

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We went with CF because of a couple of reasons. Their a 3rd of the weight of the aluminum units I've used and seen. They maintain a cooler working temperature then metal. With 3 layers of CF the unit maintains as much strength and rigidity as the aluminum units as well.
And of course it looks better.
Were using high temp resin. The units can take 500 degree pretty easy. Most cooling ducts don't directly get that much heat especially with all the air running through them. I'm working on a couple different versions but I've seen pretty big call for these.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What do you mean by high temp resin? Tooling poly resin? Trying to figure out if you're using pre-preg, (ok, I know you're not), poly, epoxy? What kind of resin, or is it a secret. Lots of people make stuff from CF, and it's junk because they use polyester laminating resin and automotive type clearcoats. Many actually have fiberglass mat behind the carbon (mat is the heaviest cheapest weakest form of composites that I know of)

Carbon itself really only has good strength in tension... as you know, so the resins make a lot of difference in what kind of part you get. The layup looks very resin rich as well. Perhaps you should try vacuum bagging the part.

Send me a PM... just curious.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow sorry for the bad spelling above, I fixed that. (Long Night)

Some of the first units we laid up by hand, we have since started using vacuum bagging. We have some proto units going out but really not going to do to much with everything till after SEMA.
We are currently using Vinyl Ester resin. Vinyl ester is good for water resistances and crack resistant as well. The resin itself is good to 450-500 degree's. Which is more then fine considering the unit doesn't come in direct contact with the rotor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts