Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading some threads for about 3 hrs now. I planing on keeping the car N/A for couple of years because I do not have enough money for FI. It will be getting a tune and CAI soon along with some 410. The car is a dd. I have decide the best choice for me is the Centerforce DF kit. Is this the right choice? Also how do you guys feel about a aluminum flywheel for the street? My dad said wasn't a good Idea. I am leaning towards the Fidanza. Also as far as the TOB should I just pick up new one from Autozone or a dealership or should I order an aftermarket one. As far as the slave cylinder goes should I replace it while I am in there or should it be ok. If so what should I replace it with? Money is kinda tight. Is there anything else I will need to change out the clutch? Also is it 6 or 8 bolt main for an 07 gt/cs. I read that it varies.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Your stock clutch is probably fine unless it's worn out - for just a CAI/Tune I'd think the CF DF would be just fine. I have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. It's fine on the street from what I can tell - not any harder to take off or keep momentum between shifts from what I've noticed.

I think you'd notice the difference in a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft more than the flywheel.

If you have less than 10k, I think the original TOB is fine - most suggest the factory one. I replaced the pilot bearing on my clutch install. I think the general rule on the slave cylinder is that it doesn't need replaced unless it's leaking.

I think it's best to use new flywheel / pressure plate bolts. Flywheel bolts can be found at local Ford dealer for abour $3/bolt.

Won't hurt to have a friend and a transmission jack for the install!

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1

6 bolt flywheel.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The DF will work just fine. I think you'll like it. An aluminum flywheel works great too because the car is heavier than previous stangs. If you have the cash I'd get the McLeod release brg. I ran a stocker with my DF and it was fine with an MGW shifter. It sucked with the Triax though. I think the MGW's torsion mounts are what make it shift better.

You might consider sand blasting the flywheel and pressure plate's friction surfaces for a much quicker break in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
RAM Powergrip 310 clutch/pressure plate, RAM steel flywheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems my funds are a little short so I am going to resurface the stock flywheel. I ordered the clutch kit and pilot bearing. I was wounder is there anything eles i will need to get it installed my dad said something about a shim or bearing. He couldnt remember what it was called though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey good luck on picking the clutch. i had a ram and dfx which out of the two the dfx is much better. I have a mcload tob which is the way to go . Had the ram first and after the first two leaked wasnt going thru that again . Ram help by replacing them and change the seal JPC gave me the credit to get the mcload. I heard from several that the spec is good.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I made 434 RWHP and over 500 of RWTQ. That is before uping the shot and some other mods on a stock clutch with the stock fly wheel. Also pulling a 1.64 60ft on bone stock suspension. Drivability goes down hill with an aftermarket clutch IMO. I have a Ram PowerGrip HD and a SPEC Billet Steel flywheel and it can make you mad in bumper to bumper traffic lol. Good luck

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
RAM Powergrip 310 clutch/pressure plate, RAM steel flywheel. +1
was highly recommended by my installer. pedal a little harder to push than stock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts