Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I have the tick and it is hopefully going in this week pending part arrival...but what I was curious about is my car is a second run cobra and I thought second run heads were fixed? Then rumor has it that the heads were never changed. OK thats fine...but now that ford has the fix, what did they do to cure this issue? I heard bigger oil valleys, slots whatever you want to call them. But does anyone know exactly what has been redesigned to supposedly fix this problem? I am going to get aftermarket cams in the future and probably going to have some head work done but that is way down the line. I am worried by what I have been hearing about ford techs and I dont know if I want some half-ass tech under my hood in my hand built engine. Crucial points being missed because of some under educated tech not knowing the facts. Are these head bolts tourque-to-yeild? Are they going to replace those if they are? Stuff like that? Are they tourque to yield? I am curious myself. Get the head replaced and it starts ticking again because there really was no re-design. So just curious if there really is a "newly designed" head, or whatever they have done to remedy this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew " I just want it done right" cobra guy!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
My take on this situation is,,,If my car runs good..I'll drive it with the Tick..When it comes time..I'l get aftermaket heads.
Ford Modulars have been ticking from 1995 when i picked up my 96Cobra.I have heard 2V's tick also..
I heard cars that tick intermitently.Sometimes i hear a Tick and sometimes i don't..That's my car and others that claim to have the so called Tick.
Ford fixed it,didn't fix it who knows what the new heads will do??

G

·
I am with Uncle Jimmy on that one....I would wait and see whats what with this so called new head that gets rid of the tick everyone is talking about. So far I have no tick...but by the way it sounds..it can show its ugly head(no pun intended) at anytime.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
I assume that it will have no direct effect on the performance of the car? Mine is doing it but im like Venomous on this and i am not so sure i want a halfass tech working on mine either. I can deal with a little noise i guess.

Sean

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The idea to me of one head being removed and having fresh everything installed and the other one go untouched just doesnt seem right. I would always have a weird feeling about that, mine is early first run and no tick, although it does have the diesel effect on cold startup until it warms up!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine is in the shop currently.

I'll be posting results once I have it back.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I'll bet the new head will tick...and The 04's will tick..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts