Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably going to stir the pot with a lot of people but the purpose of the board is information sharing and I feel that this information is monumentally important!

Below is an email that I just got from Ken Kristley, the chief engineer at Kenne Bell. Personally, I put a lot of value and credibility into what I am told by Ken and Jim Bell. After all, they do more testing and tuning of cars for which they manufacture supercharger kits than any vendor I know of...by FAR. Regardless of what is said, I will take heed to their data.

But have at it, let the scrutiny being and DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!!

The email:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Richard.

The chip is done and the air fuel is perfect. We now have the chip available for all the guys with this injector. Just make sure they don't do anything weird (see below), and they should for sure use our cold air kit (+50 hp at just 13 psi).

The injector is Siemens DEKA # 5255.

Oh yeah, some other things:

1) USE ONLY THE FACTORY 90MM MAF!!!! NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS USING ANY OTHER METER!!!

2) DO NOT INSTALL HEADERS - THEY ALL LEAK, LOSE LOW END TORQUE AND CAUSE DRIVEABILITY PROBLEMS

3) DO NOT INSTALL CAMS OR HEADS - NO HP GAINS!!!!

The car we just tested to do the new chip with the 55's had new cams, heads and headers. After all the tuning was done to the air/fuel ratio to match our original Cobra, given the same boost, air/fuel ratio and spark, it lost 18 ft lbs of torque all the way to about 6000, and then finally started to make about the same hp as our car with STOCK HEADS, STOCK MAF, STOCK CAMS and STOCK EXHAUST MANIFOLDS.

What we recommend besides our supercharger kit, 55# injectors, our chip and our cold air kit is:

1) X-PIPE OK, AND BETTER MUFFLERS (STRAIGHT THROUGH TYPE).

We know a lot of Cobra owners will chose not to believe that heads, cams, and different mass air meters do not make any horsepower. We have tried before to convince other people of this (you know, since we have a dyno and have tested them before), but they are like Fox Mulder of the X-Files: They truly WANT to BELIEVE, even though there's proof!

So, for bragging right's sake, they could go ahead and throw their money away, just don't expect to go any faster.

The chip is ready when they are.

Regards,

Ken

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, that's it. Copied and pasted but with information relevant to me personally omitted.

RELEASE THE DOGS!!!!!!!

:salute

·
Registered
510 Posts
I also find it hard to believe that a properly designed longtube would leak no matter what. :confused:

I understand that Kenne Bell and their tuners do lots of testing and whatnot but they are not 100% devoted to Mustangs and Mustangs only. I'd like to see Chris Johnson of Johnson Motorsports get ahold of a KB blown '03 Cobra and just run wild with it. I'm sure he'd be able to make as much or more power, get the KB Boost-A-Pump to work, etc. etc. etc.

I was also under the impression that Nitrous Pete was going to get ported heads and aftermarket cams to test them out and see what they did. Did that end up falling through or what? Just curious if there were any results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Now this is my personal opinion but I belive with time we will find a way around whatever problems KB encountered, it makes no sense that changing said parts would give no benefit my car has been dynoed with the KB before headers and will shortly be dynoed with headers so I will see first hand on that one, and will pass it along to evryone else. I feel there is more tuning needed to be done for those mods, we may find that we will need to go to a stand alone fuel management system of some kind to use nad capitalize on these mods, but to say there is no gain is a mighty blod statement. what casms were used, and what type of altered heads were used as well. just asking not trying to start any problems but it seems pretty hard for me to belive that no gain could be found with time I feel there will be a gain found, all it takes is time and money for research to be done and soon we will have the anwsers we are looking for, the car is still in its infancy compared to other cars out there. just my opinion but I feel others will feel the way I do.:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Check this post out: http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3584

It seems to me like the guys at Strictly Pro know what they are doing.

I'm not sure if there are any differences between the 50# injectors they used and the 55#'s that were used on this car (other than a difference of 5#/hr) but they put down 610rwhp with very few mods. I'm sure they could squeeze at least 40 more rwhp easily in tuning, 55's, and maybe a pound of boost.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
That sounds good. What were the heads changed to doesn't the 03 have the best heads available currently. Is KB now recommending the 55# injectors. I am thinking about doing it, but would hate to have to take it back apart again if it is not needed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
toofast4u said:
That sounds good. What were the heads changed to doesn't the 03 have the best heads available currently. Is KB now recommending the 55# injectors. I am thinking about doing it, but would hate to have to take it back apart again if it is not needed.
The '03 does have the best flowing heads, from Ford. They still have plenty of "meat" you can port away and give them even more flow than they have out of the box. I saw SHM had a set of ported '03 heads for sale a while back so there are people experimenting with them.

On the 55#'ers, I'd get them just to give yourself some extra insurance fuel system wise. I'd rather over do it than under do it with this much money/time into something.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Maybee I am crazy then, or just plain Nuts but I belive there is some form of a gain be lower boost levels better efficeny, something for the love of god there has to be some kind of gain out there, maybee it will be quieter at WOT, come on some one help me! Please?:D

G

·
No gain from headers? Hello? Its been proven to help big time with cars pushing the boost limit. I like the Kennebell gang..but that statement is off. Leaking happens with some....thats been happening for years. I wont go on and on....

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guess I will be the first to say....thanks for the info Hammer! Been waiting to hear about this. Now that the tune problem is solved for 55# injectors what numbers do you expect to be able to get from the use of this chip? It will be interesting to see all of the other claims discussed and tested.

·
Registered
618 Posts
And why not harry give me some support here, where is Soap he knows all sorts of things I'll ask him?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I think it has proven time and time again, that headers on an '03 are a waste of time and money. Both Jimmy V and Joe (Magic Maker) lost HP and torque when the went to long tubes. I thought there was some chance that with the KB the results may be different, but based on the above, I guess not.

JT

·
Registered
510 Posts
JT said:
I think it has proven time and time again, that headers on an '03 are a waste of time and money. Both Jimmy V and Joe (Magic Maker) lost HP and torque when the went to long tubes. I thought there was some chance that with the KB the results may be different, but based on the above, I guess not.

JT
I don't see how headers are a waste when Rob Raymer gained like 40lb/ft of torque with just the 1 5/8" headers. :confused: I think it depends more upon what your tune is but it can also have to do with the design/type of headers being used.

I wonder how the Bassani Mid-Lengths would do on a KB '03?

·
Registered
136 Posts
JT said:

JT
You sure about that JT? According to the MM&FF numbers (most recent issue...I know, I know...MM&FF, but I believe they got the rwhp and rwtq numbers from Jimmy himself) on Jimmy V's car, he picked up ~25 rwhp at low end and average of +15 rwhp from 3k to 5k (and this was over his aftermarket X) so it was a gain, not just the big gains we see with other stuff. He also had torque gains (at work so numbers are off the top of my head). I hope Jimmy V will add his dime to this conversation.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
SVTVenom said:
I don't see how headers are a waste when Rob Raymer gained like 40lb/ft of torque with just the 1 5/8" headers. :confused: I think it depends more upon what your tune is but it can also have to do with the design/type of headers being used.

I wonder how the Bassani Mid-Lengths would do on a KB '03?
Actually it was 30 Ib/ft with his 1 3/4" long-tubes. I think the Bassani mid-lengths and shorties are a total waste of time and energy. If you are going to go through the PIA on this car you might as well do long-tubes.

·
Registered
510 Posts
toofast4u said:
Actually it was 30 Ib/ft with his 1 3/4" long-tubes. I think the Bassani mid-lengths and shorties are a total waste of time and energy. If you are going to go through the PIA on this car you might as well do long-tubes.
Ok, so I was a bit off (10 lb/ft and and 1 3/4 instead of 1 5/8"), still there were gains seen from headers.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
SVTVenom said:
Ok, so I was a bit off (10 lb/ft and and 1 3/4 instead of 1 5/8"), still there were gains seen from headers.
Something else to remember is he was running very high boost on the heat inducing eaton. Some of that gain might have been from letting the motor evacuate more hot exhaust gases between cycles causing the motor to run less but cooler and more oxygen rich boost.

·
Registered
510 Posts
toofast4u said:
Something else to remember is he was running very high boost on the heat inducing eaton. Some of that gain might have been from letting the motor evacuate more hot exhaust gases between cycles causing the motor to run less but cooler and more oxygen rich boost.
Only 1 way to find out for sure....slap some 1 3/4" on a KB '03 Cobra :D

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
SVTVenom said:
Only 1 way to find out for sure....slap some 1 3/4" on a KB '03 Cobra :D
I am still recovering from the KB install. I need to have some friends come over if I decide to take it off and do the injectors.:D

1 - 20 of 190 Posts