Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys seen the new lightning info? I know fords patented system of using the a/c compressor to supercool the IC fluid is getting alot of attention, but did anyone catch in the text they say it has a Lysholm blower??!!!

" The SVT Lightning concept engine features a Lysholm, screw-type supercharger, paired with both an intercooler and the new SuperCooler system. The 32-valve, double-overhead-cam powerplant boasts Manley connecting rods, two fuel injectors per cylinder and high-performance heads similar to those on the limited-edition 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R."

A lysholm is a screw type design. In the pics the case looks like the current Eaton.

Do you think they got Eaton to make a Lysholm? (I believe one company in sweden holds the exclusive patents on screw compressors, although they seem to license others to make them, for a few bucks I'm sure.)

Anyway, if the new L gets a twin screw Eaton, I'd bet it be an easy bolt on the Cobra!

They also say the engine is all aluminum! I wonder why now the aluminum block can support 500 HP when the said the '03 had to be iron to support whatever the Cobra is 410-420. I guess there musrt have been some improvements found.

Anyway I though I'd have my '03 forever, I guess of they drop this motor in the '06 Cobra, I may have to bite.
Other cool pics of the Lightning:

JT

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's definately got my attention. The future looks bright!

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I'll take one. How much with the 03 as a trade-in?

Man, that motor makes me want to put a wig on it and do the bump and grind.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I want that supercharger. Go with a screw and it still looks stock gotta love that.

·
Registered
286 Posts
you know the HP is getting pretty sick when ford needs 2 fuel injectors per. cyl.!!!that truck looks awesome!! i guess this is fords answer to the new chevy and dodge trucks coming out! Dodge is puting the viper V10 in their 1/2 ton truck, and chevy is putting some big CI motor in their's!! I think this truck should run some real low et's at the track!
I wonder if that blower will bolt directly to our cars?? how much boost can these blowers put out??
Leon

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's not common knowledge, but Eaton does already make Twin Screws in a sense. A few years back, Whipple struck a deal with Eaton for them to build all their twin screw rotor packs. Whipple failure rates and warrenty repairs have just about dropped to zero since switching to the Eaton quality packs. That's one reason why you are starting to see many factory cars coming with Whipple twin screws. Eaton will start making their own complete twin screw blowers soon, and one of the first to get it will be the Gen 3 Lightning. Keep in mind though, that silver truck is NOT the production Gen 3, it's a concept truck for new ideas. The Gen 3 is due to have the new 3V heads.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
When is this new Lightning supposed to be comming out. Looks like it is going to be a mean one :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts