Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought ole' girl home today with 12 miles on her. Help me pick a name for the plate. I'm thinking the first mod should be 4.10s any thoughts?

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Welcome to the world of the Mach 1 ! They are awesome cars in looks and fun driving factor. 4.10's I hear are a big help with these cars too. Right now with the stock 3.55's and the 5 speed, my car chirps the tires banging into 4th gear too...so 4.10's will be and even more wild ride. When your's breaks in more....try that powershifting into 2nd with the stock gears....she will send you sideways...big time...alot of fun!! And the top end pull will surprise you once the miles get on her. She pulls hard!

Congrats and Enjoy! :beer

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas. what type of shifter is recommended and at what point can I throw the 150 shot on it? :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
DSG is my favorite color on the Mach I. Congrats on a sweet ride.

One thought...forget the 4.10s. 4.30s. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah i agree 4.30's are sweet.
i have a pro 5.0 shifter in mine ,first aftermarket shifter ive had its good for me. paulshp.com is the place to call to mod your car. i have his air box and torque link and intake and chip going in on friday cant wait to go racing on sunday . all this will just compliment all the other mods ive already done

T-BONE
03 azure blue
best ET 13.08 @106 with 1.98 60'
cant get drag radials to hook (i think they suck)
but thats my oppinion

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
MACHME said:
I just brought ole' girl home today with 12 miles on her. Help me pick a name for the plate. I'm thinking the first mod should be 4.10s any thoughts?

Thanks,
Charles
:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
MACHME said:
Thanks fellas. what type of shifter is recommended and at what point can I throw the 150 shot on it? :D
I prefer the UPR Blu Thunder with the Trick Stick handle ...and I wouldn't do more than a 75 shot...but then again, who the hell am I? :lol

Where are you in So Cal? We have some great performance shops...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T-Bone do you have 4.30s and what DRs are you running? I already have a 92 that can run 11s so I need a streetable ride that gets decent MPG.

BTW, what did you use to recalibrate the speedo?

L.B. I'm near Knotts.

·
Registered
885 Posts
MACHME said:
I just brought ole' girl home today with 12 miles on her. Help me pick a name for the plate.
Congrats on the new Mach! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine... (I know you will BTW!)

Here's what I submitted yesterday for my plates:

shaker
shakin
shaking
4V Mach
Mach 4V
Mchwon

MACHME said:
I'm thinking the first mod should be 4.10s any thoughts?

Thanks,
Charles
IMHO, 4.10's would not be a good 1st mod for the Mach 1.
They will improve performance, but this will almost certainly be off-set by a lack of traction. The car already has plenty of power/torque & respectable gearing (3.55's), but the stock tires are too easy to spin in 1st & 2nd gears.
If you are a top-notch driver & can get 1.7 - 1.8 60' times from the stock tires, then by all means do gears 1st. If you are an average driver (like myself), then increased traction should be the main goal to start.
A pair of extra rims for the rear with either Nitto 275/40R-17 Drag Radials or BFG 275/40R-17 Drag Radials would help you more at this
stage (again, IMHO ;) ) Keep in mind however, that even with the stock gearing, you can quickly break a stock 28-spline axle with Drag Radials - especially with the BFG's.
You may get ~ 5000 street/tack miles from the BFG's, while you can get ~ 10,000 - 15,000 miles from the Nitto's. The BFG's are softer & definately hook better, but are HORRIBLE in the rain...

With that said:
4.10's are a great street gear for the Mach 1 - the improved lower-end torque (over the '99 - '01 4V engine) makes this gear good for the street + some light racing duty at the track.
If you are serious (at all) about the 1/4 mile, then 4.30's - 4.56's would be a better choice.

Keep in mind that you will be on borrowed time with 4.10's - 4.56's and the stock 28-spline axles if you get any traction at the strip. Plan for either replacing some 28-spline axles after breakage or swapping in 31-spline axles & a new 31-spline center section.

MACHME said:
what type of shifter is recommended?
I used the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter & handle I took off my '01 Cobra before I got rid of it, and I love it.
Most shifters/handles available today are of great quality/fit though, so it's hard to go wrong with most brands.
It mostly comes-down to personal preference, and what fits your size/shape/arm-length the best.

MACHME said:
at what point can I throw the 150 shot on it? :D
I would be extremely careful with the spray on the '03 4V.
The compression ratio is higher than earlier 4V's (10:1 vs. 9.85:1),
so detonation is more likely to occur.
4V's love spray, but also love to break (hyper-eu-craptic) piston ring lands as well...

IMHO, a safe, proffessional dyno-tune should be considered mandatory when installing any nitrous kit on the Mach 1 engine.

MACHME said:
what did you use to recalibrate the speedo?
5-spd cars can use either a

Borthers Perfomance or a Dallas Mustang Speed-Cal.

Automatic cars must use a custom chip to correct the speedometer.

Have fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
yes i have 4.30 gears and im running bogarts, skinnies and fatties with slicks this weekend for the first time . i have a set of ford mach 1 wheels to look stock with bfg dr's 275/45/17.
im done with dr's im in it for the fastest i can run without a power adder (for now,that is).
good luck ill post new ET's after this sunday at the track

T-BONE

·
Registered
53 Posts
MACHME said:
T-Bone do you have 4.30s and what DRs are you running? I already have a 92 that can run 11s so I need a streetable ride that gets decent MPG.

L.B. I'm near Knotts.
Sounds like you are going for a sweet street performance car...not a drag beast...

With that in mind I'd agree with Angus and go with the 4.10s for that purpose...I'm running them with 275/40/17 Nitto Streets out back and it's a SWEET setup...

For a great performance shop call Eric Cheney at Xtreme Mustang Performance in Aliso Viejo...949-305-6550...website is ...www.X-M-P.com

He is customizing Ford's two Mustangs for the SEMA show this year :king That's a fairly prestigious honor for a small local shop...

He can handle anything from a custom nitrous setup to completely customized show cars...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When did you dyno the car(miles on it). I have 73 miles now:D I have a GTECH that I was going to try out but, should I wait before getting on it. I bought my 92 with 2700 miles on the odometer and was on it right away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
L.B. said:
Sounds like you are going for a sweet street performance car...not a drag beast...

With that in mind I'd agree with Angus and go with the 4.10s for that purpose...I'm running them with 275/40/17 Nitto Streets out back and it's a SWEET setup...

For a great performance shop call Eric Cheney at Xtreme Mustang Performance in Aliso Viejo...949-305-6550...website is ...www.X-M-P.com

He is customizing Ford's two Mustangs for the SEMA show this year :king That's a fairly prestigious honor for a small local shop...

He can handle anything from a custom nitrous setup to completely customized show cars...
Do you know how much they charge for gears?

·
Registered
53 Posts
MACHME said:
Do you know how much they charge for gears?
Give them a call...ask for Eric...949-305-6550....

I did a diff cover at the same time and don't remember what I paid...

Plus you will need a SpeedCal or chip & tune....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts