Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....

One of the members at StangNet was kind enough to tell me about this site......so I decided to join after reading some of the posts........

I work for Magnaflow, but I was a Mustang guy way before I worked here......

Currently my stable includes.....

67 Shelby GT500........Shelby R springs, 4.11 gears, 1400 stall, built C6, 10.5:1 compression, about $3000 in head work, block .30 over, Crane Cam, adjustable billet rocker arms, exc exc exc...Magnaflow X pipe and Exhaust

65 Shelby GT350.......Shelby R Springs, torque thrusts, stock 289, Magnapack Side Exit Exhaust custom made

90 GT....BBK equal lengths, Magnaflow X , Magnaflow catback dumped, 3.73s, Art Carr tranny, 65mm throttle body, electirc fans, pulleys, MSD ignition, Gripp disc brakes, and a bunch of suspension mods

Hopefully the moderators that are reading this, dont mind me being here, as I don't actually sell any of the Magnaflow parts, I am here more in a technical role, for the threads where people are asking about Magnaflow....

and also to BS about Mustangs in general as well......

Also, if Magnaflow is not one of your options, I do have a lot of information on my competitors....and can offer a lot of very unbiased information say for instance if you are thinking about two companies like MAC and Flowmaster.......

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome.

I have a question for you. I currently have magnaflows welded into the stock catback. When they welded the mufflers in they used reducers to connect it together. What kind of gains do you think I will see switching from that setup to a complete magnapak catback. I'm also running LTs with 3inch collactors and 3inch O/R X.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
welcome. If you wish to sell any parts here please speak to Eric first.

Now you can post. I am moving this to the bar. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gas Alley....

I wont be selling any parts though.......as I have numerous great shops to sell the parts for me!!

To answer your question TUFF.....

Actually with the 3" X pipe and so on, I would probably leave the rest of the system as it is.....

The stock pipes are probably giving you just enough back pressure to keep some of the midrange power......to get the exhaust velocity back up from where it slows down in the 3" pipes.......

·
Registered
511 Posts
Glad to have you…

Maybe you can write a nice piece on how back pressure and pipe length can used to manipulate the torque curve.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a problem...Ill put that on my list of things to do...as I know that many are in the belief that bigger is better when it is not always true........along with looking at the total power under the curve instead of peak power numbers......

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey glad you have you aboard. Looks like we might be in for some good info! I am always wanting to learning something new.

Brandon

·
Registered
352 Posts
<---- Your Magnaflow R&D Test Truck Here :evil

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Why doesn't magnaflow make an H-pipe? People like myself enjoy the tone an H-pipe gives off opposed to the X-pipe. I recentley found in my search for a catted H-pipe that you don't offer it. Just curious of why that is.

Thanks,
Razor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cool, glad to have you on board....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
akatherazor4 said:
Why doesn't magnaflow make an H-pipe? People like myself enjoy the tone an H-pipe gives off opposed to the X-pipe. I recentley found in my search for a catted H-pipe that you don't offer it. Just curious of why that is.

Thanks,
Razor.
Well to be honest, the reason we don't make an H pipe, is because of the power difference between the two......

I know one of the common misconception is that all X pipes give a high pitched raspy sound, while H pipes give a deep sound......

Well we and one other X pipe which I am aware of, have managed to tune just about all of the rasp out.....

There is not a big sound difference between an H and our X pipe, so we decided not to build one.....

Most people at shows dont realize I am running an X when they hear it, until I tell them......

Thanks for the warm reception!

Venemous- You have a VERY clean truck....I have gone over and admired it several times while it was over at the R&D center....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Any good advice on how to improve the perf. and sound of S/C 99 GT. It now has stock manifolds and O/R H pipe, and MAC cat back. Alot of interior noise at speed, hardly hear a conversation without yelling.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Question...How much RWHP is your X with cats and K&N filter worth on my otherwisw stock Mach 1? And based on your company's dyno work, at what RPM does it start showing up? I realize we're not talking much power here. Thanks

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
GNN60GT500 said:
Well to be honest, the reason we don't make an H pipe, is because of the power difference between the two......

I know one of the common misconception is that all X pipes give a high pitched raspy sound, while H pipes give a deep sound......

Well we and one other X pipe which I am aware of, have managed to tune just about all of the rasp out.....

There is not a big sound difference between an H and our X pipe, so we decided not to build one.....

Most people at shows dont realize I am running an X when they hear it, until I tell them......

Thanks for the warm reception!

Venemous- You have a VERY clean truck....I have gone over and admired it several times while it was over at the R&D center....
Alrighty then. It's that raspy sound which deters me from wanting the X. I know Magnaflow builds a quality product and I would be willing to purchase their catted X-pipe if it sounded close to my H-pipe. I'll see if I can track someone down with that combo. One more question, do you think the Mac cat-back with flowpath mufflers I run will sound good with the Magnaflow X-pipe?

Razor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I call bs, take your mom's car back to her! so, anyways.. haha, j/k.. how are you? Get a load at the new girl.. she is a hottie! haha, welcome to you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Could somebody post some sound clips or video of a 4.6 cobra or gt with magnaflow's on it. The more modifications the better...charger, longtubes, yada yada yada. I am taking off the slowmasters and putting on something else and this is my first thought.

Please let me know also which model magnaflow muffler you have.

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ralph......rather then give you the "company" dyno numbers....

I will give you some dyno numbers from a shop near by....

GRC Performance is the name of the shop.....

They have an in house dyno.....

On stock 99-01 Cobras, they have reported the following numbers back to me.......

(I know its not a Mach, but its the closest thing they have dynoed more then once or twice as this is the average of about 20 Cobras)

X pipe and catback - 31-33rwhp
Cat Back- about 16-18rwhp
X pipe- 15-17 rwhp

These numbers were also backed up again by mustang exhaust.com

They installed just mufflers...no catback, just mufflers on a stock 01 Cobra and they ended up getting 15rwhp......

If you want to track down a Mustang with our X and mufflers on it, another idea is to go see your local Saleen or Roush dealer....

As both Saleens, and Roush cars come with Magnaflow X pipes and mufflers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fly boy.....I can answer one of your questions but not both....

Performance- From what I have been seeing on the dynoes, the straight through muffler with an X, is the combo to have.....

(just make sure you use a quality X)

Sound- This is a tough one as sound is very objective. What I think sounds good, could sound like a** to you.........

I personally like the sound of our mufflers, otherwise I would run stock mufflers on my cars.......

however I think that you will find that every one seems to have their own opinion on sound........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts