Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that half shafts are going to be an issue for cars making stupid big power.

I knew that it was only a matter of time before one went in mine...after all...they get ABUSED BADLY in my car...street and track.

I broke one today. But at the most unexpected of times!

Driving home from work on the Garden State Parkway, I came through a toll plaza, gave it a little gas, got a hint of wheel hop (little gas is all it takes with KB to get tire spin / wheel hop) and before I could even react to the wheel hop (less than 1 second)....
CLICK CLICK BANG!!!!!! CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!!

And I coasted safely off to the shoulder of the road and called a flat bed.

I had a passenger in the car and the stock F1's on it. Luckily, I was about 15 miles from JDM when it happened. Called my friend [email protected] and explained the situation. He called Jim D'Amore (enroute home from FFW tour out west) and Jim said to get the car right over to the shop (top shelf service and support as usual from JDM).

Like I said, I knew the shafts would go sooner or later...but I never expected one to go like it did....some throttle, cruising...no hook, no real torque.

It wasn't cold out...A/C was on. But wasn't warm enough to totally eliminate wheel hop when tire spin comes either.

Those half shafts have seen 1500% more stress on them in the past then they have today, when it broke!!

Bottom line? It must have been fractured and hanging on. Never thought it would happen like this. It happened at 15 MPH. I thank God that it didn't happen at 75 MPH.

So I am a member of the broken half shaft club. Our president is Joe Lynch.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Rich,

I am sorry to hear but happy you were going slow !!! Now what ??

Mine are still stock also and with the New clutch going in I guess I better get the 02 GT solid axle built up !

Keep us informed Buddy ! Are you going back with Stock one ?

Jon L

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jon,

I honestly don't know what to do. Never owned an IRS car before so this is all unchartered terrain for me.

Hoping to get some direction and experience from the fellas.

Any .02 is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Put a built 8.8 in and forget it. Then you can bolt on some 28X10.5's and launch that thing without worries. My .02

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry to hear about the half shaft. Let us know what you decide to do. I am sure more of these will break as the miles and HP add up.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Hammer: Mine broke at an awkward time as well, I was getting on an onramp and spinning the tires some in 2nd and hit a small pothole and my rt side one went, sounded like the end of the world when it happened.

I can only think that it may of been weakened before than, I had been to the track alot this year and made various 1.6 and 1.7 60ft's

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Mine broke at the track, Hammer. Called Frank at the drive shaft shop and order replacements for $549. Bling bling....

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll give Frank's half-shafts a try. If one of them break, I'm going live.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
HAMMER said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll give Frank's half-shafts a try. If one of them break, I'm going live.

I'll keep you all posted.
HAMMER,

I've got about 50-60 runs on these halfshafts (DS) most in the low-mid 1.7X range with one 1.69. With the 75hp shot, my car makes 707lb-ft of torque to the wheels. Best $650 I ever spent (it's an extra $100 for them to do the rebuilding).

MJ

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
i joined the club last nite too!!!!!!

2Kbill and i went to crapitol raceway last nite to get the first runs on my coupe before i really mod it, the first pass it blew the tires off instantly and did the same on the 2nd. and 3rd. gear changes....:mad: lifted 3 times on that pass and ran a 12:3x at 118.xx mph....great 2.03 60 too!!! with that in mind, eased it out and slipped the clutch at 3000 rpm's.......instant bog when the car actually hooked so hard it almost shut the motor off!! talk about one extreme to the other!!! after it recovered and took of on another blistering 2.01 60 ft. every shift was clean and it ran 12.01 at 121.xx.........was really happy for just having a cai, 2:80 upper pulley, bassani x and spintech catback, chip, and bfg's!! Made one last pass later that evening...heated the tires good and staged the car, slipped it quick at 4,000 rpm's and left decent, 1.85 60 ft.........pulled second gear and bang!!!! The amazon halfshafts that i threw in the car since they were just laying around the shop gave up on 3 passes!!!!:mad: Pulled the car back to the shop and put it on the lift to see what failed and the stub shaft had sheared in half at the hub area.....great heat treating i suppose? but hey, at least i got 2 1/4 runs out of them huh, those will be shipped back to ol' ricky boy for a refund or replacement for sure!!! Going to go again next friday to get more data, hermann

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: i joined the club last nite too!!!!!!

hpbyhermann said:
Made one last pass later that evening...heated the tires good and staged the car, slipped it quick at 4,000 rpm's and left decent, 1.85 60 ft.........pulled second gear and bang!!!! The amazon halfshafts that i threw in the car since they were just laying around the shop gave up on 3 passes!!!!:mad: Pulled the car back to the shop and put it on the lift to see what failed and the stub shaft had sheared in half at the hub area.....great heat treating i suppose? but hey, at least i got 2 1/4 runs out of them huh, those will be shipped back to ol' ricky boy for a refund or replacement for sure!!! Going to go again next friday to get more data, hermann
This is the same problem Joe Lynch has been telling us about for ages now. If you beef up the joint area, then the weakest link becomes the hub. No fix for that, I believe he said it would require a complete redesign of the hub. Personally, I think the only way to solve the problem is to go to a vette style of IRS, with actual driveshafts for the "half shafts" and get rid of the U-joint crap we have now. Anyhow, I don't have more money than I have sense (yet), so I am just going to go solid. Screw this poorly designed POS IRS.

Hammer,

I feel for you man. My brother broke mine my first time out at the track (with only 444). However, I can't believe you are still on F1's!!!! I ditched those about 12K ago, and said goodbye to all of my wheel hop and spinning. Halfshafts are still holding strong with 18K miles and about 100 passes since the last failure, but my hubs are going out. BTW, I drive mine daily, including 1200 mile business trips.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
solid rear for me this week.......

Going to build one this week, back to the track to actually race for a change, instead of driving the car off the line like i'm in the rain!!!! IRS be gone!!!!!!!:D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: i joined the club last nite too!!!!!!

hpbyhermann said:
...pulled second gear and bang!!!! The amazon halfshafts that i threw in the car since they were just laying around the shop gave up on 3 passes!!!!:mad: Pulled the car back to the shop and put it on the lift to see what failed and the stub shaft had sheared in half at the hub area.....great heat treating i suppose? but hey, at least i got 2 1/4 runs out of them huh, those will be shipped back to ol' ricky boy for a refund or replacement for sure!!! Going to go again next friday to get more data, hermann
Thanks for the info, Hermann. Those handjobs over on "Brand-X" website sure did lose a great vendor / contributor to the scene.

:hammer

But you are really scaring me now! Here's the $2.00 question of the day: What's the difference between the two vendors' products??

My stock half-shafts have survived a few 1.6 short times on BFG's, a 1.59 and a whole lot of 1.7's and 1.8's. Are the stock ones actually STRONGER than these aftermarket pieces?? Hermann, is it possible that you got a defective set? How could a 1.85 short time break the half shafts??? Were they made of glass?? And on Eaton??? Perhaps you got the shaft!!

Members of the broken half-shaft club meet me at Hooters. Drinks and nachos are on me; while we discuss how to stuff Vette half-shafts into our cars.

Someone pick up Joe Lynch too.

:mad:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Re: Re: i joined the club last nite too!!!!!!

NetworkingGuru said:
Personally, I think the only way to solve the problem is to go to a vette style of IRS, with actual driveshafts for the "half shafts" and get rid of the U-joint crap we have now.
Not to nitpick, but the Vettes have U-joints, we have CV joints.

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Mmmm....Hooters.... :blob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Re: Re: i joined the club last nite too!!!!!!

IWRBB said:
Not to nitpick, but the Vettes have U-joints, we have CV joints.
LOL, sue me :lol

Which ever one looks like a driveshaft, that's what the vette has. Never claimed to be a "car guru" :shootbird

BTW, the bird is all in joking, thanks for the correction. ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Put in a stick axle and forget about it. At least you could run better tires and get quicker times with the power you already have :blob

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Hermann, pardon my ignorance. Were the stubs part of the upgraded halfshaft package, or parts you had to re-use? I think your second run, where you hooked real hard may have contributed to the failure on the third pass.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts