Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed one today and left the lower idler in the lower position because could not get bracket or bolts loose to move up.

6# fit with about 1/4 inch clearance just enough to squeeze belt on. Once engine started the belt rides out of the groove on the lower pulley. Stoped engine check pulley alighment. No problem visually. Aligned belt in groove and turned engine over and it jumps about 1/8 inch out of groove...

Is idler to close in lower position ??? Have seen several guys run at track with 6# lower and idler in lower position with no problems but that may have been the slight smaller diameter Metco 6#er.

Any suggestions on moving the lower idler without removing entire bracket ( the Hex heads bolts are stripped and removal is questionable)

Thanks,

JL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The new metco 6 # is bigger then the old one. The size of the old 6 # ring was ~ 8.625" and the revised one is ~9.02" .

Take a look at this thread for some good information.
Metco resized their pulley rings

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am aware of the Metco resizing. I have the new 6# 9.02" and the car pulls 3 additional #s of boost. But my belt is getting tore up quickly. The second PIC show the edge of the belt trying to walk off the pulley. While idling it does not looked warped or anything but there is some sort of misalignment going on. I am going to re-install 4#er and go with 3.00 upper to repalce the 3.25. This should bring the boost level up without messing with lower pulley.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Dustoff said:
Thanks, I am aware of the Metco resizing. I have the new 6# 9.02" and the car pulls 3 additional #s of boost. But my belt is getting tore up quickly. The second PIC show the edge of the belt trying to walk off the pulley. While idling it does not looked warped or anything but there is some sort of misalignment going on. I am going to re-install 4#er and go with 3.00 upper to repalce the 3.25. This should bring the boost level up without messing with lower pulley.
3 additional #s over what stock? What is the total boost you are receiving with the 6# lower I am planning on going with the 8# lower soon.

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Dustoff,
This didn't start happening until you swapped the lower pulley, right?
So, the logical place to look for the source of the problem is the lower pulley.
Did you try laying a straight edge along the face of the pulley to see if the pulley is actually parallel to the face of the motor? And to the idler pulley(s)? Same with the lower idler, if you messed with it at all during the swap.

I would check for debris between the pulley and the hub. Metco put tons of paint on mine, so much so that I had to sand it off to mount the pulley on the hub.

Did you try a different belt? I think that they can be damaged to the point that they will not track straight, if not installed/removed properly.

Is the tensioner providing the correct amount of tenison? Is the belt tight enough?

Just a little food for thought...
Dana

1 - 6 of 6 Posts