Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to my guys down here who tune my cars and they said they no longer use the metco idler pulley setup to eliminate belt-slip but instead use a newer no-slip pulley with sidewalls or something. I forget who makes it but it but anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thoughts, experiences, comments?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Rick, If this works and doesn't shred belts, it should sell good, since we would be able to put the pulley guard back on.

P.S. Been trying to call, can't get through....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who makes it..I want to do some research on it on the other threads.

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
I dyno tested mine this weekend

Two pulls without idler and with no-slip pulley 442hp and 460tq

last pull with idler and no-slip 455hp and 472tq

It helps but your still better off with the idler also

I also installed a Metco Idler and a BilletFlow idler and the pulley postion on the Metco unit appears to give better belt wrap. Both Idlers work very well though....and they look cool as hell :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
stlblack03 said:

I also installed a Metco Idler and a BilletFlow idler and the pulley postion on the Metco unit appears to give better belt wrap. Both Idlers work very well though....and they look cool as hell :D
So, what size pulley are you running?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
No slip is bad unless its on a race car. And in that case its a cog. Street blowers need some slip. The current tensioner offerings are pretty damn close to perfection now.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
stlblack03 said:

Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was concerned about shredding too but the shop guy owns a lightning and he's been using it a little while and says there's no sign of shredding.

I'm very curious as to more test data and experiences with it. I just hope no one here is bias in any way. I'd like to be able to just buy a pulley and not have to spend the same $$$ just for a new idler positioning setup.

Also, I too can't remember the name of the pulley maker. It was something I've never heard of before...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
no slip pulley

i agree with hammer, the pulley tensioner's available now really are the way to get the job done, without breaking the blower/alternator belt and leaving you stranded somewhere at 1:00 a.m. in the morning!!!:jawdrop I only have experiance with the fine products from billetflow, but the metco seems to be nice stuff too.......just never used that one.....hermann:D

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
I'm not biased either way...if your going with a small pulley and no Idler your only choice is the non-slip pullies. Otherwise your wasting your time. I would say a regular pulley and an Idler would be just as good as a non-slip and idler.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amazon Racing, what is the status on the testing of the no-slip pulley?

·
400 Posts
The sure grip 2.75 pulley has been on now for over 500 miles. No belt dust, it holds boost and the belt shows no signs of roughness or wear at all.

Rick

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Z20_WHAT said:
Amazon Racing, what is the status on the testing of the no-slip pulley?
For some reason your name "Z20_WHAT" sounds very familiar to me.:confused: I am from the Manassas area and just can't figure it out. Anyway from what I was told by very reliable sources pertaining to no-slip pulleys is this. They will not only eliminate slippage, They will Increase belt life. I have one for my Vortech but unfortunately it's a different size than what I am running at this point.

Sorry I can't share first hand experience but I thought this may help you a bit. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.;)

P.S. You have your car worked on by Excessive?

Razor.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Have any of ya'll tried the RR pulley?I have it on my blown 2 valve..It rocks..ALOT of the Renegade cars run it with a 8 rid setup to stop belt slippage.They gained 13rwhp using it on a 03.The HP gain was from stopping belt slippage.

www.reichardracing.com

Jim is a good friend of mine,if ya''ll like em,I can get them for you cheaper then his list price.

Check the pulley out.Might be another alternative.

Tim

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Cobra Killer said:
Have any of ya'll tried the RR pulley?I have it on my blown 2 valve..It rocks..ALOT of the Renegade cars run it with a 8 rid setup to stop belt slippage.They gained 13rwhp using it on a 03.The HP gain was from stopping belt slippage.

www.reichardracing.com

Jim is a good friend of mine,if ya''ll like em,I can get them for you cheaper then his list price.

Check the pulley out.Might be another alternative.

Tim
That's the pulley I have bro.;)

Razor.

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
I just got my RR pulley and I don't have anymore belt slippage. But my car still loses about a lb of boost due to the heat of the blower. When the blower is iced I believe it will work perfect, I'll see on April 12th at Cecil County.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
akatherazor4 said:
For some reason your name "Z20_WHAT" sounds very familiar to me.:confused: I am from the Manassas area and just can't figure it out. Anyway from what I was told by very reliable sources pertaining to no-slip pulleys is this. They will not only eliminate slippage, They will Increase belt life. I have one for my Vortech but unfortunately it's a different size than what I am running at this point.

Sorry I can't share first hand experience but I thought this may help you a bit. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you.;)

P.S. You have your car worked on by Excessive?

Razor.
Hey, thanks for the reply. That is good info and I will look into it.

Yes, I have a very active and LONG relationship with Excessive. I have a fully built '87 drag car they've done and they've been doing most of the work on my Cobra. In fact, is was my discussion with Chris that prompted me to start this thread (read first post). We are planning on using the no-slip when I get the chip and pulley in next week.

As for my name, you probably are familiar with it for several reasons. One, I'm an active member of the Northern Virginia Mustang Club. Two, I use this alias for several Mustang message boards, and probably the biggest reason, I stole it from another guy I know in Northern Virginia area who drives a black 5.0 and has it on his license plates hehehe. :) I thought it was cool so I used it for my online name. We probably know eachother hehe.

Amazon Racing, thank you very much for the update. Are there more than one brand of no-slip pulleys and is so, which ones have you tested, plan to test, and which would you recommend? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts