Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys, I have used Megasquirt 3x on several cars including installing the full wiring harness and options such as water/meth, boost control, launch control etc. We have used it on Mustangs and mustang based kit cars 5.0 pushrod, N/A, Single turboed, and a 408 (351W) twin turbo build, and just now a stock terminator (not started yet).
It is a great system and IMHO the best bang for the buck by a long shot in the aftermarket stand alone ECU segment, with great support via the forums and vendors.
All that being said, any EFI tuning system comes with a steep learning curve (if you aren't already a tuner) and will require plenty of hours of fine tuning to get a car to idle and drive even close to a factory ecu.
WOT is the easy part and can be done in a few hours or a few pulls on a dyno. The drive-ability that the OEM ECU offers can't be beat, however once you've exceeded the factory ECU ability, or want the awesome features Ed listed, I believe the MS is the way to go. What I like about it is that it is an All in One box, you don't have to add very expensive add on modules like other aftermarket ECUs do, or have a bunch of different boxes for each feature all working separately and not talking together. Plus it data logs almost all the channels it uses at 100 records/sec and those logs are invaluable in troubleshooting any issues, improving your tune, and wringing out HP.
It's really great to see them releasing a PnP for these cars, that sure helps most ppl get into self tuning because a lot of the complicated settings are pre-configured and you don't have to mess with the harness either.
Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anyone gets the Knock detection working, please let me know. Maybe update the thread with a screenshot of the settings.
I'm using a Terminator motor that didn't come with knock sensors from the factory. My understanding was the supercharger was too noisy to use them when they developed that motor, but the other 4 valve motors of that year and earlier have them such as the Mach1 and N/A cobras so it shouldn't be a valve train noise issue.
I'm sure the later GT500's used knock sensors so i don't know how the SC could preclude their use unless it had to do with the harmonics of the iron terminator block vs the aluminum?
I do have the Bosch sensors and the knock kit installed in my MS3x and would like to play with it, but I would have to find a place to mount them since the iron block has no provision for them in the valley. Not sure if it has bosses that can be tapped or not, as I never had the engine apart. If anyone knows or has retrofit a iron block w these please tell me how.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Ken and Ed, I haven't been able to find any info on where to mount the knock sensors on an mod iron block, and I remember during the build giving it a pretty good go over externally. Ill keep looking.
The $1349.00 intro price is not bad and I swear I saw a $15xx.00 price marked down either in an email or on their site but cant find it now.
I was using the MS knock system since it was an 3rd party add on and the circuit had to be tuned to the hear the knock at a certain frequency, which reminds me make sure you get the exact knock sensor for your bore because it is acoustically tuned. So if you bore a motor get a sensor for that bore. A 4.6 and a 5.4 or 5.8 would knock at a different frequency. Im not sure how the current MS system detects knocks vs noise or how to tune that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great Keavin Thx, ill check when I get home. With the water/meth and 14#'s of boost I think im safe but really would like to get the knock control working since I have it all already anyhow.

This is the project: Stockish Terminator in a 2300# 65 Daytona Cobra Kit car, MMR TKO 600 (rated @ 900), MegaSquirt 3x, Water/Meth, Launch Control, etc.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Ed! Yes I love tha panache and history behind these cars and there were only 6 originals built, that's what swayed my decision to stop my fox body build and go this route.
I have experienced TTO before, and I will definitely be careful about the tail coming around. Driving light cars with that much hp to weight ratio is always squirrely.
It's going to be a driver with AC and plans are to drive it to Sebring, Daytona and the local tracks and drag strips around here in S FL.
When I have the MS tune dialed in Ill share that here so we can compare Fuel and timing tables.
Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a launch circuit that allows a burnout and launch at separate RPMs for a stick shift. You can use the line lock switch with or without a burnout switch.
It can be modified for a auto easily enough.

Schematic Slope Font Rectangle Parallel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts