Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am from TN. with a 03 cobra with the basic bolt ons. I am having problems with air getting in intercooler system. I have been working on this for a week and can not figure it out. I thought my pump was bad, because it was not circulating water in the reservoir. So I install a new pump. The only way to get circulation in the reservoir is by opening the bleed valve on the intercooler and letting out about a QT. of coolant, at that point the circulation continues. After i stop the pump and go back in awhile I have to do the same thing again. I am at the point of just trying a new pump and a new intercooler. If anyone has any info. i would greatly apreciate it. Thanks

·
Boost-aholic
2,821 Posts
You should know that the intercooler pump will not turn on right away. There is a few minute delay after you start the car before the IC pump will start pumping. You can jumper it to make it start pumping if you don't want to wait. There are plenty of threads on here about how to jumper the IC pump if you search.

I'm thinking that the time it takes to drain 1 qt of coolant thru the drain on the reservoir would be about the time that it would take for the pump to start pumping.

If you are letting the car come up to temp and the IC pump still isn't pumping until you drain coolant, then it is possible that you have a bad pump....even new ones have been known to be bad right out of the box.

Jr.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I assume when you say bleed valve, you are talking about an aftermarket intercooler res. right?

check all your clamps and hoses under the clamps. make sure they are tight and positioned correctly.

and yes, as stated above, the pump doesn't immediately start when you turn the car on. do the jumper trick and see what happens.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I am using a jumper to turn the pump on. I am not running the car while I am doing this. It is a LFP cooler and it has a bleeder valve on the side of the tank at the top.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
bleed the lines from the intercooler under the blower......seems there may be air trapped up there. I just let the clamps loose and slide the hose back a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bleed the lines from the intercooler under the blower......seems there may be air trapped up there. I just let the clamps loose and slide the hose back a bit.
Do I loosen the clamps and run the pump while you slide the hoses back?

·
Registered
848 Posts
When I have air in the system I have found that cupping my hand around the opening for the reservoir and blowing into it real hard will get the air out. Do this with the car running right after cold start up.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Do I loosen the clamps and run the pump while you slide the hoses back?
Do it with the pump jumpered and the car shut off, you will hear and feel the air escape.

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts
The best way I've found to get rid of air is to loosen hoses at pump while running and it will take right off pumping again, just never remember the right one everytime LOL Sounds like he might be sucking air somewhere.

mofasta

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any more ideas, I jack the front up as high as I could get it thursday night, and loosened the hose where they go in and out from the blower . Seemed to get rid of all the air. For 2 days it worked great even in the resorvoior there were no air bubbles. Then after it sitting nearly 24 hours. I tried it again, It was air locked would not circulate untill I opened the bleeder valve on the intercooler. I am at the point of replacing the pump and cooler again. What would you all do? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This thing is still giving me problems. Been working good for around 3 wks. The car has not been drove very much but every time it is drove or the pump is jumped it has worked. Untill lastnight, had to take it out of the bracket and turn it up vertical then started working. Does it sound like the pump is just to weak to push the smallest amount of air through it?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
sure sounds like a bad pump, call Tousley Ford and order one for a lightning (same pump but a few bucks cheaper)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts