Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just registered to the forum, and thought I would make my first post and tell a lil about me.
Ive worked on cars now fulltime for about 8 years or so, but its always been to repair and correct problems and usually return things to oe standard. The last few years have brought change and I do more and more drivabilty work and some internal engine work. When it comes to mods, most cases I know what its going to do or not do, but as with anything, experience is what gets you the furthest, and that is what I am probably lowest on. I cant stand chryslers and cringe when they get towed in like they have the plague or something. GM's go alot smoother, and Fords are a little different but I take the time to learn all I can, so they dont bug me as much. I finally got thrown deep into the modular world recently, after taking possesion of a car a customer wished to junk. 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis, with a alot of miles, a fresh transmission, good body and an engine full of water in the case. After pulling the engine and tearing it apart like a kid with a new toy, I found the rusted out freezeplug that caused it. Cleaned it all out, left the internals alone for now, and put it back together in stock config. It runs and I drive it everyday now. I gained a wealth of info from all this, and no longer am afraid of the dreaded Romeo or Windsor engine.
Im looking to gain power out of this engine, and am already fixing the exhaust restrictions as we speak. Looking for advice on whats proven to work good, and throw in something different in dialing up ford's big boat. Have I lost my mind???:confused:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey !!!

First of all... Welcome to ModularFords.com !!! :D

With reggards to squeezing a little more power out of your mod motor, I would start with the basics like:

Either an off-road or high flow cat H or X pipe and catback of your choice
Either a Cold Air Kit or K&N/Powerstack filter to remove the intake restrictions
Underdrive pulleys
Timing Adjuster

That should net you some gains you can feel and it would be a good starting point.

Take care,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I plan to keep the cats in place for now to help with noise reduction, but may do a david copperfield to them,lol. I plan to run 2.25" exhaust back to a pair of performance mufflers, and over the axles to the stock exit locations, with a crossover in the stock location. If there isnt too much noise inside I may build the offroad pipes. There isnt parts made directly for this car that I have found, so I guess Im going to frequent the mustang parts bin. The underdrive should bolt right up to my setup, shouldnt it? I have access to pipe bending equipment, so Ill probably build my own tubing and weld the air bypass nipples on for my cold air system. Main thin Im curious about, that I should have checked into while the engine was apart, is the timing adjuster. How much gain, etc will it provide, once Ive hit on the above mods?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts