Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all most of you know my wife and i both have 03' cobras, with the amount of power we are just beginning to see trans durability will start becoming a issue very soon. On that note i got in touch with two very good friend's of mine that i've dealt with and raced with since the days of the AMRA for those that can remember that mustang racing series. I called bob hanlon yesterday and we are going to begin a joint venture between our two company's to develop and be able to supply t-56's with super upgrades like custom gears, input shafts output shafts and much much more......we have been friends since the beginning of the stang movement in the 80's and i can tell you he knows tremec's of all types like not many people i have ever met!!!!:blob We are in the process of getting the first unit to get it apart and start the process of ultimately getting much better and positive gear engagment, strength and durability bob's stuff is famous for!!!!! And now onto the other side of the coin......many have approached me about not liking the shift it yourself part of the 03' cobra experience and we will have a solution for you guys too! Tom Cyer of Performance Automatics, one of my very good friends as well and a long time sponsor of my racing activities including my outlaw car is steping up to the plate to offer a 4r70w conversion for the cobra's that we are going to develop on one of my cars. The trans will be sold either through my company or from P.A. directly and we will be building the unit next week to start the development in my car to remove any bugs before it actually goes to market. It will be a fully manual unit with transbrake and a optional convertor to allow for full throttle lock-up capability for a huge top end charge!! I will be keeping everyone posted of the progress of this dual product development which will be fully tested in both cars to ensure the final product will be unreal!!!!! hermann :D opps! almost forgot we will have halfshafts ready to go soon too! another option!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Herman, I didn't know you knew Bob. I've known him for more than 20 years! Damn, I'm getting old.

No better guy for manual transmission stuff!

JT

·
Registered
443 Posts
Let me know whats going on with the Automatic....I am very interested in that.

AMRA, damn, that seems like yesterday.....thats were I first got started racing Mustangs.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
j.t.........yup......we been friends since the AMRA days

He says great stuff about you.......liked the ride he took in your car.....guess we will both be doing extensive testing huh.....:lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
If people don't like shifting their Cobra then why are you making a manual 4R70W>??? Wouldn't they want a Automatic shifting unit>??? I dunno. I know for one my car will keep the T-56 unless I lose a leg or something. I build trannies for a living so I very interested in how you make out. I have yet to do a T-56 so I may be calling you up on that. Best of luck! -Mat-

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's because of the valve bodies.....

It's the only way to control the shifting and keep it shifting at the right times.....and have a brake, have no computer hookup needed ect.......it will be nice:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know it is all in the Valve Body. I would think with a computer swap(and some tuning) or a stand alone you could get it to shift on time. -Mat-

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hermann, thats what a lot of people have been waiting for. CHOICES! I will stick with the stick. But I sure would like to fix the known problems (weak TOB retainer, underdesigned 10 spline input shaft, poor interior tolerances compared to the Viper T-56) before I start modding to serious torque. A couple of weeks ago Doug at Billetflow was posting about getting some of these things fixed. Was he talking about the same fixes? Can't wait to hear about your two cars and what you find out to make all our Cobras more reliable (and FASTER).

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is great news! A lot of people will be looking forward to having the choice to fix a problem with their tranny....instead of the Ford solution. The performance choices will also be great. I had already planned on making "upgrades" to my tranny before serious modding. Looking forward to hearing the progress.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Good news! I for one like the stick but am worried about input shafts etc. Now we just need someone to redo the IRS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts