Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my AFS 2003 cobra wheels and the look great. I have 17x9's front & 17x10.5's rear. I wrapped the fronts with Nitto NT555's 255/40/17's and the rear has Nitto drag radials in the size of 315/35/17. Everything fits well and there are no rubbing issues at all. I do have a live axle in my car and the IRS setup may be different. It's raining here so I haven't done much testing, but it's fun to look at in the driveway. :D Below you will find a link to some pics I took today. Sorry about the rain.

Click Here For Pics.

Razor.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been waiting for the pics.It looks great i cant wait to see some better pics when the sun comes out.You have one of the best looking snakes around.I love that color.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jleews6 said:
I have been waiting for the pics.It looks great i cant wait to see some better pics when the sun comes out.You have one of the best looking snakes around.I love that color.
Thanks man.;) I'm not actually a big fan of the color I have. I prefer silver or yellow to be honest with you. At the time it was all I could find though. Around here all the rich bastards suck up the good stuff. A little guy like myself just buys what he can get a deal on. I will get more pics when the sun comes out though.:D

Razor.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have to say that the wheel and tire combo is absolutely awesome. And be proud of that color, I love it. Do us all a favor though and get that car in the garage where it should be out of the rain:cool:

Later,
Ashley

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cammin 4.6 said:
I have to say that the wheel and tire combo is absolutely awesome. And be proud of that color, I love it. Do us all a favor though and get that car in the garage where it should be out of the rain:cool:

Later,
Ashley
LOL! I'd love to put it in the garage but it's full of mustang parts. Somebody please go to ebay and buy them!

Razor.:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Beautiful car! Love the wheels.. I wasn't too fond of the Chrome 03 wheels.. but they look really good actually seeing them on a car! and I LOVE the True Blue!

·
Registered
103 Posts
:blob

I want one!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks great! It's nice to see someone put those 315 DR's on the proper size wheel. Makes those tires look soooo wide.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on the Nitto's!

I went to the performance shop to have some last minute tweaking done before I go to the track this Saturday and had the first annual "Pro burnout and launch show" starring yours truely.:D I dropped the pressure down to 15psi in the tires and heated them up. I wound the car up to 3000 and rode the clutch out of the hole to launch. I used a very quick and progressive method of laying into to the gas petal and shifted quickly but not hard into second. I did a total of 4 launches and the tires did rather well. There is no possible way (At least at 15psi) that first gear will get any traction. It also spins in second wether I feather the gas or not, but it does pull very hard in second regardless of wheel spin.

When it's in second gear it will pin you to the seat even though the tires aren't hooking 100%. In an ideal world ET streets would be on the car, but in any event I am very impressed with the way the car feels. I was on a very short straight so no more than about 5-6k rpm's in second could be had before shutting the car down.

I will report my track info to you on these tires once I go and run. I am planning for this Saturday but it looks very doubtful now due to the snow that is currently falling.

Razor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
Looks great! It's nice to see someone put those 315 DR's on the proper size wheel. Makes those tires look soooo wide.
Although I said what I said above....I would not be surprised if traction at 15 PSI is better if mounted on 17X9's. When they are on the proper size wheel, they're designed to run with flat tread at normal pressure. Lowering the pressure that much on wide wheel causes the centers of the tires to go up, but on 17X9 you have to lower the pressure a lot to get tread flat.

Nevertheless, I would not put them on 17X9 for normal use. Car looks great. MHO

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ralph Greene said:
Although I said what I said above....I would not be surprised if traction at 15 PSI is better if mounted on 17X9's. When they are on the proper size wheel, they're designed to run with flat tread at normal pressure. Lowering the pressure that much on wide wheel causes the centers of the tires to go up, but on 17X9 you have to lower the pressure a lot to get tread flat.

Nevertheless, I would not put them on 17X9 for normal use. Car looks great. MHO
I agree with you and in fact some of us had a discussion about this very issue last night. The 10.5 wheel is actually a bit too wide for this tire. Under normal "Radial" tire pressures such as 32psi, this tire does not make a full contact patch with the ground. About 3/4 of an inch on each side does not see the road.

When we lowered the pressure to 15psi we instantly got a full contact patch for maximum grip and under racing conditions even lower pressures might provide added traction. I am going to test the tires out for everday use at around 20-25psi and see how they do. I think that range will provide the best wear on the tire while providing moderate grip if a race were to present itself at a stoplight. I tried 15psi for normal cruising but it made the car feel slightly loose in the rear while cornering.

I think a 325/35/17 would be best suited for the 10.5 wheel. The 315 is stretched onto that wheel and creates a roll at the edge of the tires with higher pressures along with adding even more stiffness to the sidewalls. From what I understand the BFG dr's are slightly wider than the Nitto's when comparing equal advertised sizes. I think the 315/35/17 BFG would be the perfect fit for the 10.5 wheel and the BFG 275/40/17 looks to be about the same size as my 315 nitto's. I will continue to play with these tires and update you on my findings. I would also love to have a set of BFG's to play with as well but money won't permit that right now.

Razor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well...I think you have the correct tire/wheel size for all around use. Modern tires are designed to run and handle with vertical sidewalls. I run 285X35X18 Nitto 555's on 18X10 wheel, and tire is little wider than wheel, for a perfect fit, and that's how it is supposed to be.

But drag racing at low pressure is different. The BFG drag racing techs told me you should run the most narrow wheel/wide tire combo you can when you run low pressure. That is the only way to get the tread flat at low pressure. However, that set up is terrible for street use at normal pressure. BTW I would run your set up for around town use in the 26-28 cold lbs range, and about 30 cold for extended hwy use.

·
Registered
339 Posts
BTW I'm on my 3 rd set of Nitto tires now, and also think they run a tad narrow, maybe 5-10 MM narrower than most. But I don't think they run as narrow as some think.

For those new to tire stuff, Nitto says the 315 DR's are 315MM wide at the widest part, it is a section width measurement. That measurement is taken on a "measured wheel", which is a 10.5" wide 17" wheel on their web site. Now a 10.5" wheel measurement is on the inside where the tire "sits". With about a 1/2" lip on each side, the 10.5" wheel would measure about 11.5" wide on the outside. A 315 MM wide tire would measure about 12.4" wide on a 10.5" (11.5" on outside) wheel, so tire would not appear much wider than the outside of the wheel. That's how it is designed to be.

Most tire companies say you lose about 1/2" of section width for each 1" you go more narrow on the wheel. So a 315 DR on a 17X9 wheel, should look little different than a 275-285 tire. That's normal for how it looks on a 17X9 wheel. It's also why how wide a tire looks and measures is mostly dependent on how wide the wheel is.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tony 96 Cobra said:
Word is that M/T is making a 17" ET Street now... Sounds very interesting!:D
I have allot of interest in this 17in ET Street. My feelings are that it will have too short of a sidewall to be effective, but I will be watching guys who have them at the track. If they hook well then I will buy a set for my car.;)

Razor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How much are the 17" ET's selling for? I haven't found a price yet.. although I did see them listed in the latest MM&FF

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tony 96 Cobra said:
How much are the 17" ET's selling for? I haven't found a price yet.. although I did see them listed in the latest MM&FF
I saw them listed as well, but I have heard nothing on prices as of yet.

Razor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts