Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I was pushing 441RWHP before my UPR X. After about 15 runs my best is [email protected] ,1.98 60 on stock tires. My best speed is [email protected] (how does that work!?)

Any ideas on how to spent the least of my hard earned money to break into 11 seconds with the baby seats in the back?

May be a 2.93 pully, throttle body, boost bypass (could someone explain what this is all about)?

My mods to date : 3.100 upper, Diablosport chip , Denso it 22's , Magnaflow catback , UPR offroad X and 12 K&N bolted directly to the massair

GREAT SITE
THANKS RIAAN

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'd say some drag radials. Practice driving and a 1.7x 60 ft should get you and 11 something.

A 2.93 and good weather may do it on F1's.

If you spin your way to a bad 60 ft (as opposed to bogging to a bad 60 ft) your trap speed will be artificially high. I'm not sure why, I think that it is because the car has additional time to accelerate before completing the 1/4.

JT

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input , gonna try the 2.93 next . Will the stock belt still work?

I have a more serios problem now! Quick shifting 3-4 was a problem from day one. At first I thought it was just me , but now I know there is something wrong.
Under normal driving it's fine, but if I try quick shift at 6500, all I get is a grinding 4th. Yesterday (missing 4th AGAIN) the shifter went really stiff going into 5th and 6th . After working trough the gears about 5 times it came back to normal again!
What buggs me is that 1st-2nd-3rd is not to difficult considering the stock shifter. Also on 2 or 3 back to back runs it gets worse.

Hope the T56 is still ok. NEED HELP!

Thanks Riaan

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ive had that same exact problem. I find myself shifting at 6200 everytime, for sheer ability to SHIFT into gear, not speed shift.. I know Im losing atleast a tenth between my 2nd-3rd adn my 3rd-4th

-Ryan

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Thanks for your input , gonna try the 2.93 next . Will the stock belt still work?

Stock belt is 75.5 in..with 293 use the 74 in Gatorback belt $40 shipped from SFPH.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you are using your stock belt with the 3.10 belt? You must be seeing some slippage..

when you go with the 2.93, it is rumored you will see slippage no matter what, unless you use the auxillary idler pulley..

I dont see any slippage ( I dont think I do, anyway ) with my 2.8 pulley and my matching belt, but that may be why my times arent the greatest

-Ryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After 2 back to back runs granny shifting 4th at 6000 is suddenly a problem. It seems to get worse everytime I go to the track. Could the clutch be going on me? (can't say if it is slipping or not)

Don't see any dust near or inside the pulley , how else would I now if the stock belt is slipping?
What is the auxillary idler pulley all about? Do have to modify anything to go with this and the 74 belt?

Riaan

Zink Yellow 03
[email protected] on F1's

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
See the thread dealing with shifting into 2nd and 6th gears, and the one talking about transmission cooling problems (currently on the 1st and 2nd pages of threads. They have been proven to be due to the clutch / clutch quadrant

Ratt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ratt , I have the problems as TopRacer!! Just hope my syncros are okay.
How are the nitto's working for you? Dont now what to get , BFG's or Nitto's

Riaan

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
RIAANSCOBRA said:

Riaan
I like the Nittos because they are much more streetable, especially if ya get a little unexpected rain. The BFG's and the M/T ET Streets may get better bite on the strip, but they will be NO fun on a little moisture. So, it depends on your use of the car. I have made a couple of 1.7X 60' times and will likely be getting more as I slowly incease launch RPM... up to 3200 RPM launch and the Nittos are still holding pretty well.

Ratt

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
Crazy685 said:
What is the fix for it?

-Ryan
If you're talkin about the clutch problem, I say that the best thing is the clutch quadrant (Steeda, UPR, etc) with the firewall adjuster. The factory cable will work, but you gotta cut off the plastic piece over the firewall end and remove the large rubber grommet that is under it. Take the driver's seat out in order to get under the dash to remove the factory plastic quadrant and put on the new piece. Get you a couple of extra hairpin clips in case you lose the factory clips that hold the plastic pieces on the pedal studs. Do NOT adjust the clutch so much that it keeps the throw-out bearing in contact with the pressure plate fingers or you will wear out the bearing way too soon. Replacing the ATF with Royal Purple (or other quality ATF) helps too. I still run the factory shifter.

Ratt

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
RIAANSCOBRA said:

Riaan
I will bet your synchros are just fine !!

Ratt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am 99% sure if I replace the clutch quad/firewall adjuster with a good aftermarket piece , it will fix my problem. Will let you if it works or not.

Does the 315 fit my stock rims?

Zinc yellow 03

Riaan

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I personally wouldnt waste time with a 2.93. Some will argue the 2.8's worthiness, but it makes more tq plain and simple. Get ya some mid to low 1.7 60ft and your car will go 11's easily. Im runnin the UPR X as well.

Get a 2.80, 100mm idler, NAPA/GATES/gatorback ko80740-- 74 inch belt, and call it good.

The UPR firewall adjuster and 3 hook quadrant is the combo to go with. My stock clutch would get sticky after a couple of runs and suck down to the floor some and make shifting a PITA. Its smooth as butter now, plus you have the added adjustability.

That is the combo im runnin with BFG's times in sig.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
RIAANSCOBRA said:
I am 99% sure if I replace the clutch quad/firewall adjuster with a good aftermarket piece , it will fix my problem. Will let you if it works or not.

Does the 315 fit my stock rims?

Zinc yellow 03

Riaan
I have the Nitto 315's on my stock 9" rims and they work OK. If you get a chance to see some Nitto 275's, you will see that the tread witdth is actually narrower than the 275 Goodyear F1's, another reason I went with the Nitto 315's.

Ratt (James)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
11.72 on F1's , that's great broke7! That 2.8 is working good for you. (you have approx 30tq more) . You must be power shifting right?
If you are , can you explain "power shift"? I've been told I can knock at least a tenth or two off my time.

Zinc yellow 03

Riaan

·
Registered
94 Posts
RIAANSCOBRA said:

can you explain "power shift"?

Riaan
Power shifting means keeping the gas pedal to the floor during the shift. You use the clutch, but you keep the hammer down the whole time.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Sly, if my car is fixed ,I will try it!
I'm gonna install a UPR 3 hook clutch quadrant and firewall
adjuster this weekend. If I still have problems after this, my dealer is willing to replace the cluth and tranny fluid.
Hope to run 11's soon.

Zinc yellow 03

Riaan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts