Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up to my original thread about the newest version of the Weapon X ignition coils. To summerize, so far I have tried both the NGK Tr6 plugs that where already in the car gapped at .038. Aside from the same crappy idle on the E10 gas they really cleaned up the choppiness of the combustion as it was with the stock coils.

I then decided that maby I would get even more out of it if I got the resistorless plugs from Weapon X for more juice at the end of the plug. Well the result was that they where extremely hot at the end of the plug. They where shooting out such a high intensity spark, that the radio frequency being given off by them threw my whole computer sensor system in to disarray under wide open throttle.

The car would back fire wildly and fall on its face coupled with a nice thick cloud of black fuel smoke. I am not sure which sensors where the most vulnerable, it would have only taken a couple. My guess is the oxygen sensors where effected. They are grounded to the car through the exaust. They would get the biggest hit.

So I decided on a middle ground plug between my first two attempts. The almost identical looking NGK TR7ix was what I chose. All I can say is wow. There was power left on the table even at my modest mod level with the stock ignition. All I have is 2.8 pulley, box predator pulley tune, upr off road x, Mac flowpath mufflers welded into the stock cat back, and a big 10 inch open filter.

I know these coils got a bad rep in the past, but as my trial shows, the problem was not the coils. The problem was that before you had to use resistorless plugs with the previous versions of these coils. So everyone who tried them was getting crazy EMI stuff comming off of the plugs.

The throttle response is night and day over the stock ignition with this combo of the new Weapon X coils and NGK tr7ix plugs. It feels like I have done a power mod seat of the pants for sure. I wish I could have had the money to do before and after dynos. Sorry it was not there guys.

The only negative side effect of this combo is a slight ticking of the radio stations on the sterio at low rpm. Other than that the car is running far better than ever especially in the high rpms. There is definately more torque and horsepower up there now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
i dont know Erich the TR6's are deff not the right plug for the weapon x coils. i have them in now for 2 weeks after having the AUT94's non-resistor plugs and I noticed the car is not as snappy and it has been colder here lately. The TR6's are the plug of choice since they filter out so much noise but also filter out a lot of spark intensity. I will be going to the Iridiums next. Mark even says that the resistor plugs are not recommended.

I know you also mentioned that an idle issue may be due to the timing being too high. mine sits around 34-36 degrees at idle and if i maintain say 2000 rpm in 1st or 2nd where i see a lot of break up under light throttle it is around 44-46 degrees.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
.038 gap? wow

·
Registered
384 Posts
Metaman it's going to be hard to convince anyone that you're making more power without a before/after dyno sheet. A lot of cold start, idle and throttle response issues can be due to the tune or a variety of other issues -including picking the right plug/gap for the boost and fuel you're using (not to mention all the things that could be malfunctioning). That your car seems to run better with them is great, but honestly if my radio made a ticking sound I would get very annoyed fairly quickly, not considering what else may also be affected.

Which brings me to the point of why I am even posting on this particular topic. I offered a challenge to any aftermarket coil makers well over a year ago on this forum that I wanted to test what was available to see if they really made more power (IIRC I required a 2% change to be meaningful -around 12HP). My only requirement for doing this on my dime would be that if I didn't see the minimum improvement I could send the coils back and get a full refund, or I got the coils free and paid for them after the test -if successful. Of course either way the results would be posted. What do you think happened?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I run the same gap, tr7ix plugs, with 2.76 upper. recommended by Ed at RWTD, very reputable tuner.
Yes I know who Ed is, my car was tuned by RWTD. Ive had my pos for 6 years now, and have always ran tr6's, at a wayy lower gap. just my 2 cents......I think .038 gap is to large. I have never hurt a plug, or had a plug related failure or issue btw.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
i dont know Erich the TR6's are deff not the right plug for the weapon x coils. i have them in now for 2 weeks after having the AUT94's non-resistor plugs and I noticed the car is not as snappy and it has been colder here lately. The TR6's are the plug of choice since they filter out so much noise but also filter out a lot of spark intensity. I will be going to the Iridiums next. Mark even says that the resistor plugs are not recommended.

I know you also mentioned that an idle issue may be due to the timing being too high. mine sits around 34-36 degrees at idle and if i maintain say 2000 rpm in 1st or 2nd where i see a lot of break up under light throttle it is around 44-46 degrees.
Cut that timing back at light throttle and it will clear up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We just had a car in the shop the other day that was breaking up under light throttle and when we data logged it, it had crazy timing. We did exactly that (pulled timing out)and wala problem solved.

And oh yeah....I still say that these junk aftermarket coils arent worth all the stupid little issues they cause!!!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
imo, if some stuff works for some and not others, good for them. it is the their car and money and if things are successful and they are happy with the results, why bash them or their post or the product (s) they are using? all the availables parts for these cars are not for everyone and everyone has a different result and experience with stuff they put on their cars. big deal. someone finds something they are happy with and want to report their results/findings, good for them.

to the OP, good for you. I ran one of the original sets of the weaponx coils. the car ran smoother and idled smoother. I didn't care and still don't if they made more power or not. if the car functioned better, that is all I was concerned about. currently I am not running them and really haven't sold any in a while, so I am posting as being unbiased. Once I get my car to a higher level, I will try them out again and see if they help or not.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Eric, I'm currently having issues with break-up under light load. Car revs clear at idle and drives great. The "miss" shows up under light acceleration and is inconsistent. This combined with my shiftlight bugging out has led me to pull the WeaponX coils (1st run units, not the latest street version). Haven't had a chance to test drive, yet. I had similar issues when first installing the WeaponX coils with non-resistor plugs. I now run TR7ix.

If the coils don't correct the issue, I'd like to try pulling timing at low load. My current tune has about 1* more than stock (AMZ2) in the majority of cells below 1.0 load. However, I have a 3* global retard in place while I'm working through the new MAF Xfer. The gross sum would then be 2* less than stock at most low-load cells and I'm still having the light acceleration miss. Thoughts? Do cars often require much less than stock timing at low load? I'm hoping it's just the coils.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
imo, if some stuff works for some and not others, good for them. it is the their car and money and if things are successful and they are happy with the results, why bash them or their post or the product (s) they are using? all the availables parts for these cars are not for everyone and everyone has a different result and experience with stuff they put on their cars. big deal. someone finds something they are happy with and want to report their results/findings, good for them.

to the OP, good for you. I ran one of the original sets of the weaponx coils. the car ran smoother and idled smoother. I didn't care and still don't if they made more power or not. if the car functioned better, that is all I was concerned about. currently I am not running them and really haven't sold any in a while, so I am posting as being unbiased. Once I get my car to a higher level, I will try them out again and see if they help or not.
+1 To many people been drinking that haterade around here

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Eric, I'm currently having issues with break-up under light load. Car revs clear at idle and drives great. The "miss" shows up under light acceleration and is inconsistent. This combined with my shiftlight bugging out has led me to pull the WeaponX coils (1st run units, not the latest street version). Haven't had a chance to test drive, yet. I had similar issues when first installing the WeaponX coils with non-resistor plugs. I now run TR7ix.

If the coils don't correct the issue, I'd like to try pulling timing at low load. My current tune has about 1* more than stock (AMZ2) in the majority of cells below 1.0 load. However, I have a 3* global retard in place while I'm working through the new MAF Xfer. The gross sum would then be 2* less than stock at most low-load cells and I'm still having the light acceleration miss. Thoughts? Do cars often require much less than stock timing at low load? I'm hoping it's just the coils.
Almost every Cobra I do that has NGK TR6 plugs has that random misfire are idle and cruise. A couple of degrees is not enough, pull 20 out and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Almost every Cobra I do that has NGK TR6 plugs has that random misfire are idle and cruise. A couple of degrees is not enough, pull 20 out and see what happens.
Thanks a ton. I'll test drive with the stock coils before going back into the tune. If timing removal is required, I guess I'll yank a bunch below 0.8 load or so and smooth from there to 1.0 or the next row. Is that appropriate?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Eric, do you recommend a certain plug to avoid the misfires at light load. I've got that and was wondering about trying different plugs (currently have the Tr6s). I'll have to look at my timing too.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Eric, do you recommend a certain plug to avoid the misfires at light load. I've got that and was wondering about trying different plugs (currently have the Tr6s). I'll have to look at my timing too.
The iridium plugs do not seem to do it, nor do the factory plugs.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
No haterade here, just facts. Study some SAE papers on ignition.
SAE papers wont disprove the success Brad has had on his car. Thats all Jason and I are saying, the Weapon X coils worked for Brad (Metaman) but some of you still want to say otherwise, thats all.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts