Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I wanna send out an expression of gratitude to MJChip for his awesome writeup on engine tick fix over at SVTP. It is definately one of the most thoughtful, helpful and informative Terminator posts that I have ever seen. Thanks, Mark. You are the man.

Anyway, Nitrous Pete invested in one of those Snap-On digital torque wrenches (a required tool to perform the engine tick fix).

It's a long, tedious procedure and I don't think that non-professionals should attempt it. Pete performed it on his car and the job went flawlessly - which is not a surprise for PJ's Performance.

Anyone who has heard Pete's car up close knows that his engine tick was pretty bad...the worst that I've ever heard. But I guess that is to be expected when you torture an 03 Cobra with some-odd 700 RWHP!!

So it's good that this procedure was performed on Pete's car first. If torquing the cam ladders on Pete's car eliminates engine tick...then it will work for EVERYONE.

So after all was said and done, GOOD NEWS - tick gone. And through performing the procedure, Pete discovered the cause of the tick in the first place.

I'll let Pete post details of the fix. I don't wanna steal his thunder - enough people do that already. But here's a couple of pictures of the install.

Thanks again for the technical contributions, Pete. Let's get back to business!!

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hammer , All I can say is , I go through a certin procedure .
I torque them severeal times , In different ways , I will say this the way they were , some were tight and some not so tight.
I don't want to tell to much as it will get turned all around and bla blab, nitro
I did remoue the m/c , plug up the lines and the m/c end also.
and took the hydro booster out of the way, This way it made the install of the v/cover easy , and the gasket staied in place,.
peace

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Great Job Pete, I always wondered if your car had the tick, once again nice job, and also what are you charging for the procedure! Looking forward to seeing your car at Gateway! Trey

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pete,
Good to hear that the re-torque worked on your motor, as it did on mine. So far after about 1700 miles it hasn't come back. In talking to Colletti about this a few weeks ago in NYC, he said the tick didn't affect power or performance, which I guess your car is a testmonial to. He also said that while the retorque worked in 99.9% of the cases, the others would require new heads.
BTW, congrats on an awesome hot rod.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a appt at the dealer may 8 for a ford rep to come lesson to my tick.its a very deep tick. pete you heard it at atco back in march.At atco tuesday night a couple of my f-body buddie ask me was that my car making that ticking sound.I shore hope ford does something about it.

ps: a few people though I was run 10.~~ tuesday night:shocked

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fred G said:
Colletti about this a few weeks ago in NYC, he said the tick didn't affect power or performance, which I guess your car is a testmonial to. He also said that while the retorque worked in 99.9% of the cases, the others would require new heads.
BTW, congrats on an awesome hot rod.
Colletti openly admitted these cars do have the tick..it gets tiresome to hear dealerships trying to blame it on the individual modding the car. Great job Pete..stay ahead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Xplicit,
It's sad to hear that you might be seeing dealers blame the tick on modding and believe me, John Colleti's remark about the tick was not "breaking news". There's no doubt that the tick has been around since 03 rollout. The first three 03's my dealer received had the tick and believe it or not, the retorque only worked on mine...and that was last June.

I think the biggest problem we face is the inconsistency of product knowledge at the dealer level, and their true commitment to customer satisfaction. I own a number of different make cars and the difference in which a customer is treated from brand to brand is remarkable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Anybody think dealer knowledge will get better when Ford moves to the Ford Performance business model?

All of those dealers without any SVT training, or even phone numbers to SVT, there's a dark future ahead.

I never expected the sales critter to know what I was talking about, I just needed him to write the order. I was happy that my selling dealer had good techs and my service writer is a Cobra owner.

I've been living with the quiet tick for awhile. If it gets worse, I'll let them at it. I really wanted to wait until it was widely known what the fix was, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So is it safe to say that the dealers know how to deal with the problem? My concerns are:

1. The dealer will not know how to correct the problem and will have it for an extended amount of time.

2. They will blame the tick on the mods that I have installed.

I still value my warranty and don't wish to get it voided.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You should just take off your exhaust, shifter, and cai. It won't take that long to de-mod your car. You can take it in without any warranty concerns then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know about you guys but my dealer and svt tech seem to be in tick denial. Had it in twice, even gave them the TSB for the re-torgue. After all that, I now really don't want them trying to re-torgue anything :vomit: My tick is freaking loud too.

Been waiting and hoping for Ford released fix. Keep hearing rumors about June and new heads, who knows. I sure hope it's something. I'll buy all the tools and do it myself if I have to.

And who knows, a re-torgue just might fix my tick as evidenced by others..

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well I hate to post this , But the FRUCK TICK is back but not as bad, So no big deal , I will dael with it , Dosen't hurt perf.
Although I would like to see it gone !!
peace all

·
Registered
449 Posts
SO PETE how long was the tick gone for.I am take my car to the dealer thursday for a appt with the ford rep.I hope they got some answer for me.my firehawk ls1 sounded like it a was knocking when it was cold, but you cound'nt hear it run when it was at idle when it was hot(with stock exhaust)and all ls1 do it.If all cobra tick then i would'nt care about the tick,but who's doing to buy are car used if they hear that tick.I'll let you guy's know what i hear from the ford rep.

G

·
Sorry to hear that Pete....atleast its not as loud and she still rips!

The LS1 noise is more of a piston slap problem. GM has a prob with that motor and the new 5.3's and so on with Piston slap on cold start up. My brothers new Chevy pickup with the 5.3 does it..my moms new Chevy Tahoe and dads Chevy Z71 Tahoe all do that. Even my 98 Ram Air Trans Am would do it.

The Cobra tick is from the valvetrain loosening up. More of a tick tick sound than the tock tock sound of the new GM motors.

So put them together and you have one hellofa watch :rolleyes:

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra (20 lbs of boost and nitrous)

·
Registered
661 Posts
The noise wae gone for 3 start ups , maby 100 miles .
nitro , I here they may have new heads for this , but they will not give them to cars that are mod. nitro

·
Registered
277 Posts
NP, I got to ask, how many miles your beast have on her now? Thanks:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you had the tick before you did any mods I don't see any reason they would refuse to replace it for you. Your mods have/had nothing to do with their tick. Possible case of common dealer prickness? Might try other dealers when/if the fix ever gets released. That concern was the main reason I got mine in twice for documentation and haven't proceded further with mods. My dealer is pretty cool and I don't think I would have a problem but just in case... Soon as they "fix" it, mod madness will continue :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
LL,
Good idea to get problem documented and on paper before modding, which is exactly what I did, but mine starting ticking at about 500 or 600 hundred miles. I don't know when Pete's started.

Like I had originally said, my car and two others were the first three received by my dealer. Of the three, one car got sent to upstate NY, developed the tick, got the retproque, and the tick came back like Pete's. The other got the retorque, which did not work at all and ticked on start-up, and the other (mine) got the retorque which worked (so far). Mine was the first to get done at my dealer and the same tech that did mine, then did the other, which it didn't work on. There were all kinds of rumors about specially trained two-men teams being sent to the dealers to replace cylinder heads, but I don't know if that ever happended.

In as much as the tick is a problem, I think we still might have another issue floating around at there that could cause eventual problems around #7 cylinder. We might want to be keeping an eye on that as these motors build up mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
True FredG... I had it from day 1 so it was easy to get it on paper. I think almost everyone has it, some just don't recognize it. But the fact that so many do have it either from day one or sometime after shouldn't effect repair if they've modded IMO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts