Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new here so bear with me. I have a 2003 GT 5 Speed Convertible and am thinking about going for nitrous. ZEX says in their ads that theirs is the easiest to install and they claim to be the safest system out there. It works at WOT only and you can ride around with it armed all day if you want to, just throw the switch on the dash. Sounds SNEAKY! It works off the Throttle Position Sensor, a solenoid is connected to that and will only open at WOT. My question, what about that cheap plastic intake manifold on newer model Mustangs? That scares me. I am thinking about going for the ZEX kit that gives 75-100-125 HP, depending on the nozzles you use. Am I asking for trouble? A guy I know at the local strip is using the 100 HP nozzles, along with a few bolt ons and on a good day he runs 12.5's at 112, using drag radials. Any commments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The 2V loves nitrous. They respond very well to it. Loves to make torque. You should be able to run all day on a 100 shot. Some people say that you can run 125-150 shot and be safe, but I would only run 100 shot. I also don't THINK that you would have any problems with the intake. Good luck. Hopefully someone else will pop up with some info, being that I don't know a lot about nitrous.

Brandon

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run the Edelbrock 70405 kit. It only comes in a 80 shot kit. I dont beleive Zex makes a kit for 99 to present at this time. If you are talking dry kits, you will not have to worry about the intake due to no fuel being added through it. The Edelbrock kit comes with a MSD voltage booster for the fuel pump, which is activated during wot for added fuel delivery through the injectors.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!
The factory plastic manifold will take all the nitrous you can shove into it. It will not be happy with an engine backfire! That is when it will split/bust into small pieces....yeah fun huh..?
Nitrous itself does not cause the backfire.....it is normally caused on "wet" nitrous kits that inject both nitrous and fuel into the manifold. The fuel can puddle (or collect) before being burned and when a spark hits it....boom....ever tried lighting your charcoal grill after throwing gasoline on it?

I believe the ZEX kit uses only nitrous that feeds into the engine. The fuel is handled thru the computer/fuel pressure regulator.
I have never used the ZEX kit, but I have used every other kit out there.....NOS Dry Manifold.....Compucar wet system....Nitrous Express Shark Nozzles.....NOS pro-shot fogger systems......and even the Wilson Manifolds cross-bar plate systems......

The best advice is to follow the manufacturers' recommendations and start out slowly!!! Don't get greedy!
Use quality fuel (93 octane) and keep it under 150hp for any stock engine. If you have a way of retarding your timing (steeda timing adjuster or some sort of computer chip) that would also be a huge benefit.

Here's an old saying I've heard thru the years - You can run rich all day, but you can run lean once!!

Good luck!
Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
friend of mine works for ford says the 03 needs a wet system for some reason...i dont know much about the stuff but something to do with not haveing a fuel return or something...might want to check into it...looking for a 100 shot myself for my 03...

·
Registered
35 Posts
NOS makes a 4.6L EFI Dry kit. I just got one for my 99 Crown Vic and it was written up in the Spet 03 MMnFF on Page 121, the 98 GT picked up 101 rwhp.

There are 2 kits for the 4.6L, one for returnless(99+ Mustang) and one for return fuel systems

Nitrous come in through the intake, and fuel come in by boosting fuel pressure. If you have a manual, then a 4.6 DIS window switch for $200 would be a good idea also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts