Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This past weekend, I had a great time announcing the NMRA Columbus, OH event as well as getting a little seat time in the 03 Cobras there.

Friday
I got to hang out with the racers/vendors as they arrived. I had arranged for my buddy, Billy "Blown" Cole to get the TUNE by Rick at Amazon. Billy's car had gone 12.93/111 stock, so the guy can drive. At the track, with the help of Rick and Doug from Billet Flow, Billy added a Steeda shifter, the Amazon 2.93 pulley, the Amazon CHIP, and a JDM CAI. I got to drive the car (thanks Bill), and it felt just a little faster than my exhaust/CAI car. They found out that the car was suffering from spark blowout, and Rick quickly fixed that. Billy eventually goes 12.30s at over 116 mph with the stock F1s. NICE!

Saturday
My buddy with the DSG coupe, Josh Barton is working with Johnny Lightning on the other side of the pits. The car, which has gone 11s, blasts off a 12.1 with tire spin. The big dog on the property turns out to be another JLP car, Fransisco Reyes' Sonic Blue baby. This thing goes 11.40s with a little bit more boost and better short times than Josh.

Rick is busy installing, what, 8 pulley/chip setups after the crowd sees what Billy Blown Cole's car runs?

Sunday
Linn, in the Amazon car, comes up and breaks out by over two tenths as she tries to avoid the 11-second zone. Got to hang out with Ben Dorn - he got the tune up while everyone checked out the Spin Tech exhaust on his car. I saw a yellow coupe blow up the IRS.

Two Ford execs, Andy Benedict and Paul Wood, accompanied the 2005 prototype car down from Detroit with a pair of 03 covertibles. Neither gentleman had ever been down adrag strip, so we kindly provided drivers for them. With Paul in the car, I ran a 13.63 at over 106 mph (spinning 2.3 short), beating Andy's car in the process. When Paul jumped in to take over driving, he bounced the motor off the rev limiter in first gear for what seemed like an eternity (2.7 short time). He lost. Anyway, fun with 03 Cobras!

That's my super quick, NMRA Columbus report - I hope more of you can add to this.
Thanks for everyone who came out and made it one of the biggest 03 gatherings since the original Bowling Green Shootout.
Basically, it was a blast.
Now where did I put that Billet Flow throttle body and inlet? LOL

Jamie

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jamie,
I was there on Sunday and got to meet Rick, Linn and Doug which was cool. I was also standing right on the fence at the line when the yellow coupe snapped the half shaft. He didn't seem to be hopping at all, just a little tire spin and POW there goes the half shaft! I talked to Doug about it later and he thought the guy was from our neck of the woods in Cincinnati somewhere. I brought my 2 oldest kids and my Dad to the event and we had a great time. I put my '03 vert in the car show and spent the day watching some great racing! I can't wait until the Modular Shootout with the '03 cobra class comes to Columbus in July!

Take care,
Kevin

G

·
Jamie, Kevin, everyone else

I had a Great time meeting everyone and putting faces to names.

I’m still kicking myself in the ass for not having my camera with me on the drive back to the hotel after the burnouts at Hooters.

I felt really bad for the guy with the yellow 03 that broke not 1 but both his half shafts and had to be towed home L At least it’s an easy fix.

Also very glad Sal is ok and hope he gets his truck back together fast, he did not have fun at the races at all.

Hope to meet even more people at more events, I’m trying to make as many as possible.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I was there on Sunday.

I talked to Rick while I waited for my dyno pull. He had me about this close to a chip and pulley.

I ran the 03 on the dyno. The pulls were free :) Can't beat that. Numbers are in the sig.

I heard Sal's truck go boom. Ouch.
JL's wife's H.D. Screw was bad as hell at 12.5's.

That 15.5 @ 95 in a 2003 Cobra driven by the Ford guy was so pathetic, the crowd groaned.

When I pulled my car into the lot, there were three people who stopped walking and waited for me to get out. Then they asked my what kind of body kit I had. :confused: Uhhh, that's all stock buddy.

I had to clean off about 10% of Ohio's insect population from the front of the Cobra when I got home. Thank God for lots of Zaino up there..

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Jamie you say that the 2.93 car Rick was working on had signs of spark blowout, what exactly was the car doing for Rick to be on top of that?? Makes me worry I installed my 2.93 and idler and such last week and still run the stock plugs, although I have Denso IT22 ready to go in as soon as 3 of them are replaced by Denso!!:(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, Doug .... it was a JDM CAI.
I should know, I gave it to Billy. :)
Either way, you guys made the car fly.
Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: Re: NMRA Columbus Report

BilletFlow said:
Jamie, Kevin, everyone else

I had a Great time meeting everyone and putting faces to names.

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not having my camera with me on the drive back to the hotel after the burnouts at Hooters.

Ah, Doug....let's just drop the whole subject of the camera!!!

It was nice finally meeting and hanging out with you, Rick and Linn. We had a ball!!!!

And Jamie....it was a pleasure as always.........

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
282 Posts
BOTH HALF SHAFTS!! Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that before. What's wild is that he had a 14.05 index for his runs, so he wasn't even trying to push the car that hard. When he lined up, I thought "14.05... come on buddy push it a little" Then BANG....:shocked

·
Registered
521 Posts
Was this done on F1's? How is that possible without wheel hop. Both shafts on a stock or lightly modded 03 with F1's sounds like wheel hop with a clueless driver(kinda like me) lol. Is it possible his shafts were defective? Damn strange.....

·
400 Posts
Linn and I had an awesome time in columbus. It was great meeting all you guys and gals. Friday night we had a great time at hooters with Jamie and his wife, Billy and his wife, Doug, Ricky Best from Vortech, Ben and his daughter. The burnout contest there was insane.
Billy did a great job of driving. Glad we found the problem. He'll be in the 11's np with his stock exhaust real soon.

Special thanks to Jamie for his devotion in promoting the 03 cobras and also for all the help and friendship to Linn and I. Your one of a kind. I can't forget my buddy Doug for all the help he gave us all weekend. We both were dragging Saturday night.

Mod Motor class is tough to race in with a stick. Most all the top drivers run autos and they really know there cars well. These guys can drive and there very competitive. I'm very proud of Linn, she has been very consistent and is starting to really have a handle on the car. Here are some pics of the car that Kelly of Digital Racecraft took. There is 4 pages and Linn is the only redfire 03. As you can see she has mastered the line lock hehehe.
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventframe?event=04IU000609&start=0&ts=1052398029

Well she's tired of holding the car back in the 12's (no roll bar) so she doesn't get DQ'd. Running a 12.2 short shifting and easing the car down the track is no fun for her anymore, so we made an appointment at Rhodes Customs to put the bar in this month. We will be putting in the hardend haftshafts kit in as soon as they come in too, then we can put on the Bogarts and slicks. Then she can have some fun. We'll keep you posted.

Rick

·
400 Posts
trey193 said:
Jamie you say that the 2.93 car Rick was working on had signs of spark blowout, what exactly was the car doing for Rick to be on top of that?? Makes me worry I installed my 2.93 and idler and such last week and still run the stock plugs, although I have Denso IT22 ready to go in as soon as 3 of them are replaced by Denso!!:(
The car was not pulling well above 5k on the street and on the dyno. Through some tr6's in it at .035 gap and it was a new car. We could see a little blowout and belt slip to on the dyno and the power peaked at 5k. Plugs and an a idler did the trick.

Rick

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Thats what I was thinking Rick, but mine seems to pull hard up top and through the whole rpm range, wanted to let you know the new tune seems like its going hand and hand with my new 2.93 setup!! The car seems real strong!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts