Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 GT

I've tried everything that I can think of.

I put a brand new reverse switch in. New back up bulbs. Changed the fuse in passenger compartment. Checked ALL other fuses in passenger compartment and engine compartment.

I have no voltage at the wire harness that goes to the reverse switch which i think should be hot all of the time.

Car is in great condition, no rust and hasn't been tampered with as far as stereos or accessories.

A shop put a clutch in it and I swear I had reverse lights prior to the clutch install but I can't be sure so I hate to make accusations but are there any wires that could be pinched from tranny removal?

If I have a bad ground wouldn't I be blowing fuses?

Thanks for any help.

· Registered
34 Posts
I would get on google and type in wiring diagram for your year car. Trace back the wires and see where they lead. I think you hit the nail on the head with the stereo install. That system is spider webbed into the whole car. I would say it's a bad ground; but if the car has no rust something must have either been removed by accident or touched with either a wrench or tool.

It honestly could be something as simple as your back seat bracket pinching the wires. Did you jam anything in the trunk recently? Or take your back seat out for "weight reduction"? I would make a list on paper... Some times coming up with a play book is an easier way to diagnose a problem. Check to see if you have power going to your new reverse switch if so you know its between there and the lights.

I hope that helps. And good luck.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
Note, if there is no key on power at the reverse switch (wire color OG) AND fuse F2.11 is good, then there is a fault somwhere in the wiring harness. Having the correct wiring diagrams for your car will be a BIG help.

I would also confirm there is power coming into fuse F2.11.

If you are interested in getting a copy of the Ford Workshop manual, wiring diagrams, and PCM manual for your car, I may be able to help. PM if interested.

· Registered
550 Posts
A long time ago when my car still had warranty (wow warranty LOL), my reverse lights would not work. Took it in and they had to replace the GEM module. If you haven't already, crawl underneith the car and check the connector on the transmission for the reverse lights.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the GEM module? Where is it located?

Key is on when I check for voltage at the reverse switch harness and the fuse is good. I have power at the fuse so I know it's between there and the switch. But can't follow it around and don't know where is goes.

· Registered
1,035 Posts
What is the GEM module? Where is it located?
The reversing lights do NOT go through the GEM. Per 2001 wiring diagram 93-1, fuse F2.11 goes straight to the reversing switch via the OG color wire.
I have power at the fuse so I know it's between there and the switch. But can't follow it around and don't know where is goes.
Get yourself a set of Ford wiring diagrams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.