Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Mustang GT will not start after sitting for 14 days while I was on vacation. Cranks well (Battery good) but will not start. The only thing that I notice initially is that I do not hear the fuel pump run when the ignition is turned to ON. So I do a couple of 10-15 sec ignition ON cycles and still not start. I move on to checking fuses and then on to checking fuel pressure. Fuses are good but I have no fuel pressure with the ignition in the ON position. While I am reading my Haynes manual for the next check, I notice that I left my key in the ON position and now I have 40 PSI of fuel pressure. After two more ignition ON cycles the car starts and runs fine. I let the car sit over night and again no start in the morning. This time still no noticeable fuel pump noise but it only took 8-10 ignition ON cycles to get it to start. Do you guys think this is a fuel pump on the way out? Thanks

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Yeah a dying pump can do that. If you can, instead of cycling the key over and over get underneath and try a few good raps on the gas tank and see if that fires it up. It's a good trick that can often give you a short pump resurrection to get you where you need to go.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no delete

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More searches on CCRM and FPDM have lead me more to believe it is the pump. I am going to check for power all the way from the ccrm to the pump. I can barely hear my pump and the fuel pressure does build slow. I think this would mean the pump is getting power but not operating correctly.

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have power at the fuel pump and by the way the car starts first try every time now!!! Even over or two days not running, it starts wright up? So what could have happened during the 12 days that it sat that would cause it to build fuel pressure slowly for 3 days and then work fine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.