Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try running without tailpipes on a dyno or the track on an 03 with a good exhaust? Right out of the mufflers. Just wondered if there was any performance to gain there like there was with my 93/96 Mustang Test Mule Cobra.

Thanks,
Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried this on a 70 mustang with 4v clevland and long tube headers. I did not Dyno it but it seemed to be making more power without the tail pipes. Not sure about the 03 cobra.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had told Nitrous Pete about this back in October and I wanted him to give it a try..either on the Dyno or the track...but so far....he hasnt and I dont think anyone else has either.

Hot Rod(Maybe I will have to be the guinea pig)Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wanted to do dumps on my 03, but everyone was telling me I would loose TQ....:blob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
svtman said:
I wanted to do dumps on my 03, but everyone was telling me I would loose TQ....:blob
Dumps would usually be before the mufflers and yes you would lose too much low end with that. After the mufflers is a different story. Might lose too much even losing the tails.....who knows.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
Dumps would usually be before the mufflers and yes you would lose too much low end with that. After the mufflers is a different story. Might lose too much even losing the tails.....who knows.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
Harry, you are talking way old school here before the mufflers.:D

How about a couple of pull levers and some piano wires that we can open and close when we want to like we did in the old daze? Hehehe!!!!

Turn downs right after the mufflers may be another option and what ur talking about. I think you will gain some hp and loose some torque. The only thing you will really gain is a ton of cabin noise. :D

Ben Dorn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insight Ben...you are correct about inside cabin noise with turn downs right after the muffler....I still might try it at the track one night just to see how she runs without tailpipes. Or better yet...hopfully someone does this before me and has results :D

Hot Rod(the old days were fun)Harry

·
Registered
222 Posts
When I dynoed stock, I picked up 21 RWHP on the dyno just by unbolting my catback, and lost about 5 TQ, so I just had muffler mart cut out my mufflers and put in spacers. With chip, 2.93 and 12" open filter I pulled 455 RWHP and 470 RWTQ, and if I had iced the blower I would have had better than that I think.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
See my sig below. Im running a stock Hpipe, and catback piping with mufflers removed and straightpipes welded in. So I guess its working.

121.00mph

My buddy's similar setup went 120 and he made 461whp. Should of could of's what my car should make is all theoretical as we all know.

I did feel a little bit of tq loss when I went straightpipes, but I got it back in the HP dept.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There was a Sonic Blue 03 at Cecil 2 fridays ago with no tail pipes. My buddy Mike says he saw it at Johnny Lightnings shop also. Maybe he posts on here.I think he is from Delaware.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
Thanks SS....hopfully he posts his results or atleast chimes in to say if it works or not.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
For what its worth he ran 11's.I over heard him telling a friend about the track officials asking him about a cage.For Cecil to bother you about it you are atleast in the 11.7's or 11.8's

·
Registered
111 Posts
Whats up Harry?
I took the tailpipes off a few months ago and it sounded unreal. Its hard to say if it lost power or not since i didnt run the car at the track but it felt good to me..The only thing that sucked it the interior noise was a bit loud but only when it was it the drone area.
Unfortunatly with the great sounding exhaust i thought i was John Force and got pulled over for speeding lol cop said i had a nice car and to slow it down...I got spooked and threw the tails back on:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FINICKY said:
Whats up Harry?
I took the tailpipes off a few months ago and it sounded unreal. Its hard to say if it lost power or not since i didnt run the car at the track but it felt good to me..The only thing that sucked it the interior noise was a bit loud but only when it was it the drone area.
Unfortunatly with the great sounding exhaust i thought i was John Force and got pulled over for speeding lol cop said i had a nice car and to slow it down...I got spooked and threw the tails back on:p
Hey buddy! I am going to try this soon at the track ..first a run with the tailpipes connected...then I will let her cool down and disconnect the tails and see what happens. Its worth a try and might help others out get to whatever number they are trying to get down too.

Talk to you soon there Mr. Force :rolleyes: :D

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's an old trick that works surprisingly well to reduce cabin noise with turn downs. Don't have the turn downs point straight down at the ground, the sound waves bounce back and forth between the pavement and the floorpan. The trick is to point the tips about 45 degrees towards the centerline of the car. In other words they point half way to the ground, and half way towards each other.

The impulses from each pipe help cancel each other a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts