Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i am new to this website and mustang world. Make a longstory short, this is my first car ever building. Have a 2000 mustang gt, took the motor out, put cams, forged bottom end, full exhaust, vortech V-2 supercharger. Finally have the motor back in, unfortunately it will not start. Motor turns over, but will not fire. Took spark plug out,no spark. Im at a dead end, car ran fine before I took the motor out. Read my whole haynes maual, injectors are getting voltage along with every other sensor, but the crankshaft and camshaft sensor are not getting power with or without the key on, chased the wires all the way to the pin plug thing(whatever that is in the passanger corner on firewall) that runs to the computer inside the car, and no power. What could this mean???Greatful for any info, Thank you

· Registered
1,035 Posts
Note, the CKP sensor generates it's own power. If there were power on the CKP lines, there would a problem.

I'm assuming that all fuses are good (you have checked them right?).

What has been done to rule out a PATS problem? Turn the key on but do not crank. Does the theft light go out after a 3 second "prove out"? If not, STOP and find out why. Otherwise it will never start.

Next turn the key on but do not crank. Does the fuel pump run for 3 seconds? If not, STOP and find out why.

Use an ODB2 scanner to monitor RPM's. Do the RPM's change while cranking? If not, STOP and find out why. The CKP sensor is a "no start" sensor.

If you are interested in getting a copy of the Ford workshop manual, wiring diagrams, and PCM manuals for your car, I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

· Registered
19 Posts
My Hanes manuel says to check voltage to the wire that plugs into the camshaft sensor itself....If im correct. No power at all...It isnt a PATS problem because my theft light doesnt come on when i try to start the car and its normal, Fuel pump is upgraded,comes on and I have fuel,havent tried checking RPM, and I have checked all fuses, there all good from my test confirmation. I dont know what esle to do...

· Registered
19 Posts
Also, my buddy brought some snap on diagnostic tool over last night and it didnt bring crap up, its like everything is in its right place and she is ready to start, just seems like something is so simple from holding it back!!!

· Registered
2,075 Posts
prolly a ground connection somewhere. did you remember to reconnect the main ground wire from the engine to the chassis? it should be connected to the drivers side motor mount

· Registered
1,035 Posts
My Hanes manuel says to check voltage to the wire that plugs into the camshaft sensor itself.....
Mr Haynes is wrong. Or the procedures listed are for an older MY Mustang.

Besides, the cam sensor is not required to start (IE, the cam sensor is not a "no start" sensor). The cam sensor can be completely disconnected, and the motor will start assuming nothing else is wrong.

But the CKP sensor is a 'no start" sensor. Monitoring the RPM's during cranking will rule in/out this as a possible cause for the no-start.

Did you do any wiring changes to the CKP sensor? Possible the leads to the CKP sensor are reversed? Did you install a tach adapter? Did you remember to install the Crank trigger wheel? If the CKP sensor is removed, can you see the trigger wheel teeth?

There is a "no start" pinpoint test in the Ford PCED manual that is correct for your car.

· Registered
19 Posts
ok, I have not messed with any wires. How do I perform this RPM test, and how would it tell me weather or not its the crankshaft sensor and should I be getting voltage to the crankshaft wire running to the sensor because im not. The crankshaft sensor itself should be fine, i have two of them, tried them both and nothing. As far as the trigger wheel goes, i have no clue, i paid a guy to put the motor together.I will take it out and look inside when i get home tonght to make sure its in there. Thanks .....

· Registered
1,035 Posts
ok, I have not messed with any wires. How do I perform this RPM test
Use an ODB2 scanner that can monitor operational data. Display the RPM's while cranking. IF the RPM's change, this indicates the PCM is "seeing" a good CKP signal. No RPM change = no start (ever!).

The other method is to remove the PCM and test the CKP signal return wires for AC voltage during cranking.
should I be getting voltage to the crankshaft wire running to the sensor because im not....
As stated before, the CKP generates its own voltage. The CKP signal is not all that strong. If there's any voltage on the CKP signal lines while the motor is not turning, there is a problem.
As far as the trigger wheel goes, i have no clue, i paid a guy to put the motor together.I will take it out and look inside when i get home tonght to make sure its in there. Thanks .....
A missing crank trigger wheel would exactly match the symptom. So would the trigger wheel being on backwards. Might be a good idea to "talk" to your builder.

· Registered
19 Posts
The ODB2 scanner, where would I get something like this? And if the RPM's do change, what would cause this issue. Also I know that this may not mean much, but i do not have my stock air sensor that plugs into my intake hose hooked up by the mass air meter,because i accidently sold it with my bbk intake(supercharged now so didnt need that intake anymore), waiting on new air sensor, but that wouldnt cause it not to start either would it? Car also has no seats, rear lights or headlights or any interior wires hooked up, this wouldnt cause any issues with engine would it(maybe a dumb question)
There is a black box,passanger side, halfway in between the firewall and front of car mounted on the inside of the engine bay(inside fender), that has (1) silver looking fuse, a sensor comes out at bottom with 2 bigger wires than normal. What is this?
Thanks for your help

· Registered
1,035 Posts
The ODB2 scanner, where would I get something like this?
Any hand held tuner can also monitor ODB2 data. A simple ODB2 reader will only read DTC codes.
Here is one example:
Amazon.com: Actron CP9580 Auto Scanner with CodeConnect Trilingual OBD II, CAN and ABS Scan Tool: Automotive
And if the RPM's do change, what would cause this issue?
This is a scary question. It says that you don't understand what the purpose of the CKP sensor is.

What is the purpose of the CKP sensor? It's to detect the rotation and position of the crank shaft. What is one thing that the PCM does with the CKP sensor signal? Answer, computes RPMs.

If the motor is not turning, what should the RPM's be? Answer, zero.

If the motor is turning, what should the RPM"s be? Answer, whatever motor's RPMs are.

So what does it mean if the motor IS turning AND the PCM says that the RPM's are ZERO? Answer, there's a problem with the CKP sensor, CKP sensor wiring, or PCM.

So what does it mean if the motor IS turning AND the PCM has a value for the motor's RPM (IE the RPM's change)? Answer, that the CKP sensor is likely working AND the PCM can "see" it.
but i do not have my stock air sensor that plugs into my intake hose hooked up by the mass air meter,because i accidently sold it with my bbk intake(supercharged now so didnt need that intake anymore), waiting on new air sensor, but that wouldnt cause it not to start either would it?
A big air leak between the MAF and TB would cause a no-start. However, you have stated there is no spark as well.
Car also has no seats, rear lights or headlights or any interior wires hooked up, this wouldnt cause any issues with engine would it(maybe a dumb question)
If one of the things not hooked up are the PCM or PATS module, this could cause a no start.
There is a black box,passanger side, halfway in between the firewall and front of car mounted on the inside of the engine bay(inside fender), that has (1) silver looking fuse, a sensor comes out at bottom with 2 bigger wires than
Might be the aux fuse panel for the cooling fan. Pictures would be nice.

· Registered
19 Posts
maybe i got misundersood about the RPM's, You have to remember I am a cabinet builder lol and this is my first ever car taking on a huge project like this, that being said i am smart, just slow at learning things. my original timing cover had a hole behind the crankshaft pulley, engine builder notified me and he got another with its sensors already on it. He gave me the old one, so after I installed engine and it didnt run, I changed the sensors from my original timing cover to see if that was the problem but it didnt do anything for me, car ran with these sensors in it before( not saying they cant be bad). .... And by the way my tuner comes up with code P1000

· Registered
19 Posts
ok, after i got the sensor out, i look in the hole, all i saw was cam chain, i even turned that crankshaft and i dunno if im lookin for a wheel with teeth or what but the chain is on a wheel i believe that turns, is this crank trigger your talking about seperate from this chain or is that it? i took pics just trying to figure out how to upload, keeps failing to upload them

· Registered
1,730 Posts
That black box should be the low-speed fan fuse. I don't think it's anything you have to worry about right now.

What tuner do you have that is giving you the P1000? Your handheld should double as a OBDII scanner so you won't need a separate scan tool. Check your manual (or just play with the onscreen menus) and you should be able to bring up live diagnostic data. By the way don't worry about the P1000 either. That's a general monitor fault and, barring other issues, will clear after certain conditions and drive cycles are met.

Easiest way to share pics here is to sign up with a photosharing service (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc) and host them there. Then use the link with forum tags and paste it into your post. That way you don't have to worry about the size and shape limitations you would for uploading direct to MF.

Sorry can't help with the trigger wheel, I've never peeked in there.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have a sct tuner, just bought it, it comes up with code P1000 which it says something about engine readiness not complete or something like that, thats the only code I get. Nothing major from what I read on the internet..

· Registered
1,035 Posts
Soooooo why aren't you using the SCT turner to find out about the RPM / CKP sensor? The SCT tuner should be a full function ODB2 scanner with data logging. Seems you have the tool right in your hands all along.

· Registered
339 Posts
ok, after i got the sensor out, i look in the hole, all i saw was cam chain, i even turned that crankshaft and i dunno if im lookin for a wheel with teeth or what but the chain is on a wheel i believe that turns, is this crank trigger your talking about seperate from this chain or is that it? i took pics just trying to figure out how to upload, keeps failing to upload them
could be missing trigger wheel...try using photobucket or other to post pics...uploading from site/to site is hard and limited

· Registered
19 Posts
Soooooo why aren't you using the SCT turner to find out about the RPM / CKP sensor? The SCT tuner should be a full function ODB2 scanner with data logging. Seems you have the tool right in your hands all along.
I have used it, I did the check engine test and it came up with P1000 which isnt really anything, it didnt come with directions so I dont know what else I can do. I bought the tuner and had a baseline tune put on it so I could drive the car around to break everything so i can get it put on the Dyno.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.