Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was able to video the boost gauge reading during a recent dyno pull. Just curious if this is normal for the boost to bleed off in upper rpms.

This is a 2.3 whipple with 2.75 pulley and mac longtubes.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
Well, you are spinning it pretty hard. You might actually be having an intake restriction issue at the upper RPM's. There where some reports a while back about that with the regular whipple plenum. Either that or your belt is slipping slightly.

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still running the stock intake tube. Do you think a JLT intake will allow it to breath easier?

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
I am still running the stock intake tube. Do you think a JLT intake will allow it to breath easier?

Yes. PD blower are very sensitive to inlet restriction..especially at higher boost levels. Get a big boost kit and a big TB and try more testing.

· Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I'm guessing you have a lower judging by the boost level. If you have it pullied for 23 psi or so then yes it will probably drop of slightly up top. Dave King did a write up several years ago about how to redo the vacuum routing to the bypass valve so boost wouldn't drop off as much. I remember when I had my old 2.3L boost would drop off when the blower was spun that high about 2 psi. If you have a lower you might consider going to a bigger lower and upper if it might be best slip.

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock lower. I cannot run a larger upper because of hood clearances.
I have a gen2 with bf tb

· Administrator
9,826 Posts
Before you spend money on parts buy a couple of pressure sensors and mount them in your intake pre MAF, pre throttle body and one post throttle body but pre blower. Do another pull and measure your pressure drop at the different sensor points. That will tell you right away where the restriction is and you can easily determine what needs to be improved upon.

Ed

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before you spend money on parts buy a couple of pressure sensors and mount them in your intake pre MAF, pre throttle body and one post throttle body but pre blower. Do another pull and measure your pressure drop at the different sensor points. That will tell you right away where the restriction is and you can easily determine what needs to be improved upon.

Ed
do you have certain sensors or systems that you would suggest to buy and use for this test?

· Administrator
9,826 Posts
You are looking for low pressure sensors that can measure 1 or 2 inches of pressure drop. IIRC KB did a complete write up on this sort of set up and posted it up in his tech section possibly with the sensor manufacturer - I can't recall for sure. The alternative is to go down to an industrial supply house and pick up a couple of commercial units.

Ed

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are looking for low pressure sensors that can measure 1 or 2 inches of pressure drop. IIRC KB did a complete write up on this sort of set up and posted it up in his tech section possibly with the sensor manufacturer - I can't recall for sure. The alternative is to go down to an industrial supply house and pick up a couple of commercial units.

Ed
thanks. i am struggling to search for the user IIRC KB

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol. IIRC KB is not a member....

IIRC = If I recall correctly

KB = Kenne Bell

They have a big tech section on their website that Ed is talking about.

Kenne Bell Web Home
I knew it would be something simple. Man do I feel stupid.

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found this thread entertaining and may explain a restriction I may be having

http://www.modularfords.com/f17/jlt-12-cai-90-maf-vs-106682/

Also I heard that the sct maf's can measure inlet air temps. If so, could i do away with my iat1 sensor and connects the wires to the maf connector to read iat1's?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.