Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting everyday street tires and I came across NT 555 Extreme Performance. Here is the link so you guys can check them out for yourself.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireSizesByBrand.do?step=sizes&index=3

I also wanted to know what you guys suggest on the size of tires i should go with, both front and back. Should i keep them all the same size all the way around? I just wanted some feedback before i go and buy them. Thanx guys
Matt:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered the 555R's(drag radial) and never noticed that they were the 555 high performance tire(neither did the guy that mounted them so I don't feel too DUH) until I had run them a couple weeks. They actually provided less traction than the F-1's but I assumed it was because I hadn't heat cycled them yet. They did break loose powershifting 1-2 at the track so heating them didn't perform any miracles. My guess is that the F-1's have more grip.

BTW, www.onlinetires.com has them cheaper, just make sure you get the right ones.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you got worse traction then the stock tires??? man ibetter look into a different tire then. I am doing reaserach now that way i don't end up buying the wrong tires. Thanx for the input
Matt

G

·
The Nitto's have better traction when heated up and the road surface has to be warm too. For normal driving the F1's are alot better, even in drag racing when racing on cold roads. Alot better than the Nitto's. But once the roads warm up...its a total different story, the Nitto's will win hands down every time.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well with the weather we are having I have no idea when it will warm up :(

But I will be out driving a lot in the hot summer days, which is why i am think of the Nittos. Descisions, Decisions:confused:
Matt

·
Registered
511 Posts
You have to get alot heat into the Nittos for them to hook up.

Several Lightning guys had the same isue, and once you get some miles on them, they seem to hook alot better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Matt

The regular 555 nitto extremes are lousy. I had them on the back of my 98 and they were really greasy. I ran a road course a couple of weeks ago and I had the stock F1's on. Another fella had 555's on 18 inch rims and he had a hell of a time. They are really slick when hot. He did not like the way they performed.

The nitto drag radials are totally different. I like them on the street but for the strip the BFG's are way better.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 315 drag radials on now for the street and i love them. I am just stuck when it comes to daily driving tires.
i was talking to someone who has the 555 extreme's on, and they say that they like them. So i guess it all depends on the person and what they consider good or not. not sure but i will have to decide soon.
matt

G

·
matstang03 said:
I have 315 drag radials on now for the street and i love them. I am just stuck when it comes to daily driving tires.
i was talking to someone who has the 555 extreme's on, and they say that they like them. So i guess it all depends on the person and what they consider good or not. not sure but i will have to decide soon.
matt
F1s for that use then. Thats what I do. I just put the stock set of rims/tires on the back if needed.

Harry

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Ayrton said:
You have to get alot heat into the Nittos for them to hook up.

Several Lightning guys had the same isue, and once you get some miles on them, they seem to hook alot better.
Mine hook up great without heating them up. I am not doing 3K clutch drops, but if I am in gear at any speed I can't spin them and if I power shift 2nd I just get a chirp. I do have suspension work also though.

The funny thing is that I was taking off from my parents house a couple days ago. And the main road is right outside of there complex. I took off down the road and my brother heard me and thought I missed 2nd. What actually happens is when I power shift 2nd sometimes because I think its because of how much traction I have the car actually sounds like it stalls, the motor goes completely quit, and then it takes a second and then will take off. It just started doing this after the suspension and 555R were put on. I have approx. 410 rwhp now.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use the 555 extremes for daily and for the strip, I think they work just fine. When I leave first thing in the morning I turn them hard one time and they are good for the drive. At the track I do a good heat cycle.......and well my 60s are not to bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts