Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a Ford, I have an '88 BMW 325. It is known among us that the O2 sensor for an '89-'93 Foxbody Mustang will work on our cars, as it is the same Bosch part and costs a lot less than the BMW OE part. Can anyone tell me if the sensor is different between the 6 and 8 cylinder Ford motors? I need to know ASAP, thanks in advance guys, and don't flame me for having a BMW, ha ha.

This is the info I have so far:

(3 WIRE) 1990 FORD MUSTANG 5.0/BOSCH SENSOR/PART # 13942 (3 WIRE)
(4 WIRE) 1991-93 MUSTANG 2.3L/BOSCH SENSOR/PART # 15785 (4 WIRE)

Is there a difference between these two (besides the wires I mean)?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 3 wire is comprised of these 3 connections
1. Power wire-12v switched for sensor preheating
2.Ground for the sensor heater
3.Signal output to the ECM/PCM
The sensor is grounded through the contact of its body to the exhaust' threaded bung but due to rust and other reasons the 4 wire was desidned to ground through the body and through an extra ground wire.

The 4 wire is comprised of these 4 connections
1. Power wire-12v switched for sensor preheating
2.Ground for the sensor heater
3.Signal output to the ECM/PCM
4.Ground wire for the sensor= more reliable
Usually the 2 like color wires are the heater and heater ground wires, doesnt matter which is powered or grounded.
The signal and sensor ground colors vary by application.
Verify the correct schematics on your application for obvious reasons.

It does not matter which engine the sensor is used with, what is important is the OHM value that the sensor puts out at a certian temperature and how the ECM/PCM is set to use and adjust according to these values.

You can find out thes values by using a digital OHM meter. You may connect to the signal and ground wires with the engine running and hot to get a reading and compare the sensors you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts