Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

O3 COBRA mod?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mswaim 
G
#1 ·
I own a O3 COBRA which I have a 7 year extended warranty--
I don"t want to void my warranty-- What would be some safe mods for the cobra(cat-back,cold air kit and shifter) I am considering on taking my car to a dyno and having my computer flashed(these guys come from out of town to the dyno, they speciallize in mustangs) They told me Ford would not know if i had my computer flashed because they don't have access to a dyno to find out that the air/fuel ratio has been changed-- If I spray the contacts with a factory sealer, Ford can't tell by looking at the computer that it has been tampered with--I talked to a SVT mechanic and he said any time you remove the factory chip to replace it or have the original flashed -a code is left behind showing that the computer chip has been touched----Is this true?
I am trying to figure out what I should do and what mods I can get away with. HELP

#2 ·
I have read post where a CAI voided there warranty. It is really up to your dealer, unless you smoke the engine. The the SVT police will take over and you will be toast. Basically if you mod you could get voided. They to have to prove that your mod did the damage, but Ford has more money to pay attorneys than I do so what they say will go.

I have heard of warrany being voided because of abuse, ect. I know this doesn't help much but I fugured hey mod and enjoy. If it breaks pay to fix it.

#3 ·
O3 COBRA said:
I own a O3 COBRA which I have a 7 year extended warranty--
I don"t want to void my warranty-- What would be some safe mods for the cobra(cat-back,cold air kit and shifter) I am considering on taking my car to a dyno and having my computer flashed(these guys come from out of town to the dyno, they speciallize in mustangs) They told me Ford would not know if i had my computer flashed because they don't have access to a dyno to find out that the air/fuel ratio has been changed-- If I spray the contacts with a factory sealer, Ford can't tell by looking at the computer that it has been tampered with--I talked to a SVT mechanic and he said any time you remove the factory chip to replace it or have the original flashed -a code is left behind showing that the computer chip has been touched----Is this true?
I am trying to figure out what I should do and what mods I can get away with. HELP
Like 03Redfire said, it's pretty much up to the dealer. On the other hand, I have an extended warranty, and my dealer has been very cool so far (even with my mods). However, the first time they mention the word "VOID" I will mention the word "REFUND"..... As in "Cut me a check for my $1500 Extended warranty NOW, please :)"

#4 ·
Re: Re: O3 COBRA mod?

NetworkingGuru said:
However, the first time they mention the word "VOID" I will mention the word "REFUND"..... As in "Cut me a check for my $1500 Extended warranty NOW, please :)"
That might be a good reason to get an extended warranty. It will cost them more to void your warrenty and refund your money then they will get of the customer pay work. I don't know how warranty dollars work in automotive, but in computers the points the seller makes is substantial and is were they money really is.

#5 ·
I'm afraid I don't understand. If you create a situation that leads the dealer to void your warranty, then why would they refund you the balance of the warranty's value? Most can be transfered to a new buyer, but I don't think you can ask for a refund for the balance of the warranty not used before you sold it, if you chose not to transfer to the new buyer.

#6 ·
mswaim said:
I'm afraid I don't understand. If you create a situation that leads the dealer to void your warranty, then why would they refund you the balance of the warranty's value? Most can be transfered to a new buyer, but I don't think you can ask for a refund for the balance of the warranty not used before you sold it, if you chose not to transfer to the new buyer.
TRUST ME, if you buy an extended warranty, you CAN get a refund (pro-rated, usually) on it. I did it with my C5 when I sold it. Read the fine print.

#7 ·
Well, you learn something new every day........Since my spouse is a finance manager, doing my homework on this was pretty easy. Your right, you can receive a pro-rated return on a cancelled warranty, however if you finance the warranty (as do almost 100% of her customers) the amount is refunded to the lender, and it is up to them to decide what they do with the money. Most it seems apply it to the last few payments of the vehicle. Depends on the lender.

Not sure why anyone would buy an extended warranty, but it keeps her busy. The mark-up is wicked.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.