Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 2000GT. I'll start the car, it will idle fine. Once it comes up to temperature, the idle drops down to 500 RPMs. I'll give it gas to try and get the RPMs up, but it doesn't respond and then the car eventually dies. Driving around it is fine. If I come to a complete stop in traffic, bam... it dies.
The only way I can avoid this is if I sit at the light with my foot on the gas and keep the RPMs around 1100. The downside to that is the engine seems to load up with fuel and when I go to pull away, it hesitates very badly

It was suggested that I check for vaccum leaks. I did this and found nothing. Two things have changed in my setup before all this started. I converted to a return style fuel system which I was assured had nothing to do with the idle. I also went from using Autolite 764's to 103's.

Took the car for a dyno tune and they couldn't get the idle right and then blamed it on my Accufab throttle body. I didn't believe it because I drove around for 6 months with the Accufab with no idle issues at all (pre-return fuel system).

The thing that I'm puzzled about is why do the idle problems start when the car is at "operating temperature". Like I said before it warms up, it idles perfect.

The only thing I can think to do now is pull off the MAF (pro-m 80mm) and clean/check the connectors and put a set of 764's back in (I doubt this has anything to do with it, but ya never know).
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
-Randy

·
Registered
802 Posts
Kinda sounds like a MAF problem to me. Pro-M doesn't exactly have the best track record for their calibrations. I would see if you can find someone that can tune your car with a Lightning meter or even the stock meter. Chris Johnson at JMS tuned my car using the stock meter and it idles and drives like stock. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts