Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who manufactures the best catch can or oil/air seperator kit for our modulars? Not the cheap, plastic ones that crack over time. Preferably a mounted kit. Links?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Do a search on Racor or CCV (Crank Case Ventiliation) on this board or SVTPerformance, you'll find plenty of info.

Jerry

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Jerry this subjact has had very little talk associated with it doing a search provides very little information. Now if it was a subject like what subframes are the best then a search would provide massive information.

Jerry you stated in on of those threads that the Racor CCV 4500 is what is best and used on the Powerstrokes. Where can we mount this thing it is 9.25"x7.5"x5.6" (hxwxd). The 4500 is rated for 10 cfm. On Racor's site they say to calculate by-pass as bhp/40=cfm. So if you take what I will be making as 600rwhp=705.88 bhp so that would be 705.88/40=~35.29 by there formula. This means that the CCV8000 is needed as its capacity is 40 cfm, but I think that is way to big and there is no way we would ever be able to mount that under the hood maybe in the fender. Is the formula different between diesel where these are normally used and gas? I don't particularly have a problem with the price of 250 if it is the best way to go.

Here is a good page that has some information and pictures of the unit.
Racor CCV 4500

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jerry, toofast4u. Would be willing to settle for a second-best, in-compartment solution. Suggestions?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Between this site and SVTPerformance a good amount of information has been shared and an outstanding thread on f150online.com in the Lightning section.. that link alone is a book!

I'm not convinced that anyone has accurate scientific measurements to calculate crankcase ventilation needs. That being said I would personally try some checkbook engineering and buy the CCV4500 and put it on the Cobra. If it is undersized it would end up on my wifes car where it is certain to be within the intended application range. The reason I'm comfortable w/ the 4500 for the Cobra is that it is recommended for the Powerstroke. The Powerstroke in stock form is 7.3L and runs 18lbs of boost. Given we run 4.6L and less boost its probably the perfect starting point. And the bigger one is just plain huge and we probably would have an impossible time mounting it.

Mounting: It definitely has to go in the fender. If you instaled a Densecharger you saw the amount of space in the passenger side front fenderwell in front of the tire.. I'm pretty sure the drivers side looks similar and that is where I intend to do this.

One other thought/reminder: There are still Powerstroke guys trying other forms of catch cans or exhaust based CCVs. They don't work and more people are learning that the catch can w/ a filter on top breathes noxious fumes and stink up your interior and cloths or drips oil out of your exhaust pipes. The only "high class", emissions legal, "done right" system is to seperate the oil AND THEN loop the flow of noxious air back into the engine to be burned.

HTH!

Jerry

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Jerry said:

Mounting: It definitely has to go in the fender. If you instaled a Densecharger you saw the amount of space in the passenger side front fenderwell in front of the tire.. I'm pretty sure the drivers side looks similar and that is where I intend to do this.
The windshield washer resevoir will eat up some of that side's room.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts