Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV systems) as we know causes oil to be carried into your intake (and coats the intercooler) and into the combustion chamber to burn. Add boost and more oil is carried by the PCV system into the intake charge. I'm having a cold startup misfire problem. My theory is that the oil is puddling while the car sits overnight and when I back down my driveway (pretty good sized hill) its rolling into the rear most cylinders due to gravity (#4 and #8) and oil fouling those plugs. A short drive of < 1/4 mile causes all 8 cylinders to start firing clean again but it still sucks and the oil burn smell at startup sucks.

Anyone else having this problem?

I added a filter to the PCV system but it didn't cut the mustard. After about 1 month of working well it lost efficiency and oil is making it into the intake again. It still captures a lot of oil but not all the oil. Pics are here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...referrerid=4259

Power Stroke owners are using the Racor (see below) with good success which is my next attempt at putting a crankcase ventilation filter to stop all oil from getting into the engine via the intake tract. Look under Air Filtration and then look under CCV Crankcase Ventilation Filter Systems

http://www.parker.com/parkersql/default.asp?type=2&id=27

These guys retail the filter:

http://www.dieselinnovations.com/

Look under accessories..

Jerry

·
Registered
54 Posts
oil

This problem has been in any weather conditions ALWAYS AT START UP smoke blows out the exhaust:( Many of us have it,and SVT said its common on the 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors,if not burning oil or oil low ,SVT said ok:jawdrop

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That filter looks good. I think you could get it directly from a Parker Racor distributor directly maybe for less. I may try calling a few.

I wonder were we could mount one of these? I was thinking of the "medium" sized one.

JT

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mounting under the hood is gonna be ugly, I may end up putting it in my front fender much like the Densecharger but on the drivers side.. will have to fab a bracket but if its similar to my Arrow brand filter it has two threaded holes in the top. Take a look at the bracket in my pics.. mocking up a similar one of the Racor shouldn't be difficult. I'd like the midsize unit but that thing is big.. 12" tall by 7" deep.. gotta crawl under the car and see if there is room. The price on that one is gonna be $300+ at least..

Jerry

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The CV6000 list is $375.45. they quoted my company less 25%, not sure if you could get that retail or not.

They have two available element densities coded a 6 and an 8, the 8, high density is standard.

They also have, if I understood right over the phone, left and right port locations, no price difference.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JT said:
The CV6000 list is $375.45. they quoted my company less 25%, not sure if you could get that retail or not.

--> I was close ;)

They have two available element densities coded a 6 and an 8, the 8, high density is standard.

--> any ideas what relates to in terms of micron level filtered? Based on my previous experience I'm going to say more filtration is better!

They also have, if I understood right over the phone, left and right port locations, no price difference.
--> There are two ways to run this: one w/ auto-drainback feature and one w/o. The port location probably refers to the drainback feature. Drainback means oil captured in the filter is released into the crankcase when you shut off the engine (no vacuum). I'm going to run mine w/o auto-drainback for a few reasons:

1. Gravity is your friend here and I don't think we'll be able to mount it above the crankcase

2. I'm not tapping my oil pan and I don't know if we have an easily accesible and unused oil bung on the block

3. The interval required to manually unscrew the bowl and drain it doesn't seem like it would be shorter than oil-change intervals.. so do it every oil change.. no biggie.

I found the 4500 for $163 w/o any fittings from Diesel Injection Service in Texas.. not in stock but can be ordered.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The 4500 is probably big enough, but if I bother to spend the money and install the damn thing, I want to know I got one that is more than big enough.

I figure our driveline loss at 12%, 465/.88=528
Using their rule of thumb formula:
528/40=13.2 CFM

JT

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My current filter still allows some oil vapor past that pools in the lower intake. If you do a search on Racor or CCV in this forum and/or the SVT you'll see the larger and hopefully better solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts