Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately the factory cluster oil pressure gauge needle has been "sticking".....

Sometimes when I start the engine the needle will only just start to move and then hang-up at just off the bottom, if I turn off the ignition and restart the engine it will usually spring up to it's "normal" position and stay there. Sometimes the gauge will swing up to normal momentarily then drop down to "zero"..... no trouble codes, no actually oil pressure problems.

Before I take the cluster apart I am asking for your thoughts..... bad oil pressure switch? wiring? debris interfering with needle? etc

PS: Where is the oil pressure switch located on this car? (it's raining cats and dogs here and I don't want to go look right now;))

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Have you checked oil pressure? That switch only needs like 3-5 psi to actually make it move to normal. Before my factory motor let go, it would drop to zero and come back to normal periodically then finally popped a few days later, similar to what you are seeing. I would check oil pressure. The switch is located at the base of the oil filter housing

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you checked oil pressure? That switch only needs like 3-5 psi to actually make it move to normal. Before my factory motor let go, it would drop to zero and come back to normal periodically then finally popped a few days later, similar to what you are seeing. I would check oil pressure. The switch is located at the base of the oil filter housing
this is exactly why I'm installing a after market water temp and oil pressure gauge. Ford made a huge short cut when it comes to these gauges. The factory gauges are totally unreliable if you really want to know whats going on.
I have the speedhut water temp ready to go on. I just need to buy the oil pressure gauge now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts