·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry but what does it do to enhance performance.....and WHY??:confused:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Do you mean why as opposed to an H-pipe? or do you mean, why change the factory mid-pipe at all?

From what I understand the x vs h controversy is still going on. There is, I think a comparison test at http://www.mustangexhaust.com/

The main difference, I believe is the sound, X's sound different, I've heard it described as less like a traditional V-8 sound.

As far as the factory H vs aftermarklet mid pipe, I have to believe the factory pipe is restrictive. I kept it because I believe it keeps the car quiet, and I don't think it is worth all that much if you get a good catback.

JT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JT, Thanks for the reply.....what exhaust system r/u running? By the way....nice ET's!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just ordered a Borla Cat back today. Have you been happy with yours? Drone, Sound, Performance?

Have not gone with X or H pipe yet, not sure about the benefits?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Very happy with mine.

No drone under normal cruise, it will drone at around 2K in low vacuum situations, like driving uphill in the mountains in 6th gear. It may be droning under boost too, but I am to distracted by the blower to hear it:cool:

JT

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I have a 3" Dynomax catback that other people have told me should be loud. It really isn't, just slightly louder than stock. I think that the factory h pipe is keeping my setup quiet and without any drone. The factory H may be restrictive, but I'll be keeping it until documented aftermarket gains (with either h or x) convince me I need to change.

Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
For one, the stock mid-pipe has 4 cats, two on each side. And these cats are regular EPA tree huggers approved - meaning they are very restrictive. Aftermarket mid-pipes have two high flow cats (or none at all in offroad sets). This helps tremendously on exhaust flow. X-Pipes allow the mixing and balancing of both sides of the engine exhausts and reduces backpressure a lot more than H-Pipes, because of the design. From what I have seen, x-pipe applications produce more HPs and give the car a "Nascar" exhaust note. H-pipes increase torque, and give the car a more "muscle car" exhaust note. Both are better by far than stock. Just my observations and .02 worth.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The stock H-pipe with Cats is not that restrictive. I saw the dyno numbers of a guy who picked up 20hp with the bassani cat-back and then he added the bassani CatX and only picked up 5hp more. These were back to back dyno pulls. Seems like the major restriction is in the Catback.

Kevin

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
With 21/2 Mac Catback already in place..

adding a bassani catted x pipe gave just 6rwhp
The larger gains are made changing the very restrictive stock catback for an aftermarket catback.

jim v.

·
Registered
661 Posts
you see more with a pulley change , On exhaust sys, Bassani works verry well , pete @ pjs perf. 856 697 5254
Peace

·
Registered
52 Posts
5.0 magazine did a test w/ Bassani X pipe and the cat back. They gained about 7 hp and 12 lb's tq in addition to the cat back. (stock intake).

·
Registered
282 Posts
On an '03? What issue of 5.0?

Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just wondering if there is any loss of low rpm torque going with a 3 inch exhaust? The low rpm torque is currently very impressive. I have an 03 Cobra with a triax shifter and just a drop in K and N air filter. Probably will get a catback next, (probably a 3 inch based on information posted here) and possibly a lightning upper pulley without chip change until I can afford a more radical pulley ratio change with chip change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Obiefox said:
On an '03? What issue of 5.0? Kevin
Sept. 02, they ran a 11.95 at 116.27 w/ 9" open filter, exhaust, skinnies, M/T slicks, no back seat,....and a professional driver.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bosscobra said:
I'm sorry but what does it do to enhance performance.....and WHY??:confused:
Both crossover designs are used to help increase the efficiency of the exhaust by optimizing the pulses. As I understand it, the X's favor high RPM use, and are widely used in Nascar.

As JT says, it is not as much a big deal on street driven cars, although some people have claimed HP/TQ increases even with a hi-flow CB.

I had the MagnaFlow CB first, and then added the catted X pipe - I love the sound of the combo, as it is has a more exotic Euro sound while still retaining clear V-8 tones - H-pipes sound more motoboaty to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts