Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am def. not new to mustangs by any means. But I was always used to the fox bodies and just getting the correctly calibarted MAF for the injectors you are running. My previous 00 GT was just mild bolt ons and I didnt need a tune or anything. Now with my current 01 GT with the vortech and all the other goodies, I am still learning. The car has been tuned before and I have the dyno sheet etc. I am taking the car in the next month to have it "gone" over and re-tuned if needed just to assure everything is ok. I bought the car with everything done to it, so I wanna see first hand that things are ok. How do tuners tune these cars. If it matters, I am going to SGS Automotive in Dover, PA and having Dave Guy tune the car. I assume they have the software and just plug into the cars stock computer? Is there where they make the adjustments for timing, fuel curve, etc etc? I mean I know about the handheld tuners, but when a tuner will tune the car, is it just done through the stock computer or how does it work? Just something I never really read about or learned. I know plenty about boosted cars , just never really read much into the tuning since I didnt have one haha. Now I do, I want to know the ins and outs. The car was previously tuned at Crazy Horse Racing in NJ. I know the car has a Pro-M mass air meter and RC Injectors that spec out to about 37 lbs. Thanks for the info everyone!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ive heard nothing but good about SGS and Dave Guy. I actually will be taking mine up there from the VA area to have him tune mine once i break in the new engine.
When they tune they use a hand held unit. They just reflash or reprogram the ECU with the new data. There are charts graphs, barsliders and several other ways different software inputs the new tune. Its kinda like editing a paper for school on the computer and then resaving over the old one.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
They'll hook up a data logger/computer to your ECU. AFR will be monitored via a wideband O2 sensor. Your options will be a chip or flash tuner. Most go with flash tuners these days.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should probably just call them and talk to them, but I wanted to do some research first. Thats my question, am I going to have to buy a chip or a flash tuner such as the x-cal's etc? Or will they just reflash/reprogram my ecu? When I bought the car it didnt come with a handheld, it very well might have a chip on it, havnt dug that far into it yet. I guess thats when it comes to something like this, I leave it to the professionals haha

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Yes, that would be a good idea. They can probably supply you with either.

·
Registered
358 Posts
take your computer out of the passenger kickpanel and see if it has a chip plugged in the test port.. good to know what software was used to tune the car too cause if its not compatable and able to be reflashed by SGS you will have to buy either a handheld or new chip.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
take your computer out of the passenger kickpanel and see if it has a chip plugged in the test port.. good to know what software was used to tune the car too cause if its not compatable and able to be reflashed by SGS you will have to buy either a handheld or new chip.
Yup, I talked to them on the phone yest. and this was the exact info they gave me! Thanks everyone! Going to make an appointment whenthe snow stops!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts