Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been talked about, but I was wondering what the weak link inside the Eaton is due to over-spinning beyond stock levels. Is it lubricant? If so, is there a better oil to use other than what came with it? Or is it weak internals beyond 16kprm. What is the M112 stock RPMS? Didn't JT have a graph that showed the relationship between boost and blower RPM? The reason for all this is, I have no intention of swapping to an aftermarket blower and want to best insure the M112 longevity. I probably need to swap the 2.80 with say a 2.93 or even a 3.10.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Eaton doesn't spec the M112 to operate above 14krpm or 10psi of boost based on the attached information:
http://automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/M112.html

Stock, the M112 spins at approx 13krpm at 6500 engine rpm, never exceeding the Eaton spec.

With the 2.8 pulley the spec is exceeded at greater than 5300 rpm.

With the 3.1 pulley the M112 would exceed eaton's 14k specs at greater than 5900 engine RPM. That seems acceptable assuming that you don't bump off of red-line frequently.

Later,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't worry about overspinning the Eaton. It can take anything you can dish out. Us Lightning guys have been spinning the 112 as high as 25k rpms with zero problems. I've NEVER heard of a stock Eaton failing in the past 4 years since the Gen 2s came out (except for the occasional nose drive bearing).

The data on Eatons site it theoretical. It is not actual tested data on the M112. They chose the 14k rpm number based on the fact that they felt the longer rotors used in the 112 would "flex" and contact each other or the case if spun over 14k. That's obviously been proven to not be true :).

Hope this helps.

·
400 Posts
I agree 100% with Sal. We spun the crap out of the eatons with our lightnings with not 1 failure. I feel you my exceed the efficiancy level of the blower and just make alot of heat. You can control this heat by doing creative things to the intercooler. If you don't control the heat you really must watch the timing and fuel curve and keep it on the conservitive side.

Rick

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am with Rick on this one. While it is true for your piece of mind thatg you can really push the Eaton, there is definatly a threshold where they make more heat and exceed the efficency hence dimishing power. However as we see each day, creative things are coming up to keep you out of the heat.

Personally, I made the same power and boost with less pulley.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I don't really need to worry about the setup I have then, However I am curious weather or not there is a better oil for the blower than what came with it...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is my .02

As I see it, when you exceed the Eaton limitations on RPM there are specific things that happen...

1. Heat exceeds the ability of the intercooler to control temp presented to engine.

2. The hp required to drive the supercharger exceeds the gains.

3. The trick as i see it is to not push the limits to far.

4. Balance gains with expense to compensate for 1 & 2.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ya harry, I agree, I spinn the blower at 23 lbs, As I saw today at atco, Normaly I see 21lbs today it hit 23 , I also have to add I shifted at 6600, I had to do this because The traction wasent there, I needed some more middle and top end. It worked , Only because the blower belt did NOT slip.and rpm 6600:)
peace
Hi Sal

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pete, you ran at Atco today? How did you do?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Verry Well. Temp 29% Track slippery !
I can only say , I did good, my 60ft was 1.71 it normaly 1.53
I still ran super. The Mag will get mad If I post times , Give it some time. I did what I thought I couldent , Because of traction but Im making more hp . It showed ;)
\ peace

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to hear Pete. Look forward to reading about it....

·
Registered
661 Posts
What et streets? lol They are fine I made 4 runs , I used the drag radials to do the burnout for the mag. because they are on the cobra rims, Your tires are now famous, as I set yett another record ! Harry Dont comment ! lol
Jon see you at the dyno day, ,Thanks ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts