Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, heres a list of Mods on my 1997 GT, yeah like this is a list! lol I have Flowmaster cat back with stainless tails, FMS shorties (shorties Not on yet) and aside from MAC white gauges and a few Steeda Dress Up items thats it

Cold air induction and K&N , and Underdrive Pullies are next on the list as they are Basic bolt ons, I guess My question starts with a head situation, I have heard that You can put 99+ cams in the 96-98 heads for rough gains of 35HP is this true? and if so is it a costly or hard to do project?

another head question, also I hear that you can put 99+ heads on and get gains of roughly 65 hp with a full head swap is the 65 Hp gain close to what You get? and with this swap do You have to replace the intake as well or is the 96-98 intake ok?

Are there any Free Mods or Tricks for these 4.6 engines?

I will appreciate any Info or advice any Of You fine people can give me :cool: PS: just so Ya all Know I have 2 Boss rear wings for a 94-98 Stang that I would be willing to trade for some of the above mentioned parts...

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about facts..I like facts better anyway.

I did the camswap that you are referring to,and was the first to do it that I know of. The PI cams drop right into any '96-newer 4.6L head with absolutely no other changes at all. It'll take about 7-8 hours if you're familiar with the modular motor,and you use basic hand tools. No gaskets are required to do the swap-pending you don't tear one of the originals when they come off.You can also reuse the chains,guides,tensioners,etc...as they are not gonna be close to being worn out at any kind of normal mileage.I did the swap on my car with over 175K miles on it,and replaced nothing but the cams themselves.
Stock cams are spec'd at .466" intake and exhaust lift,and the PI cams are spec'd at .510" intake and .530" exhaust lift.Both share the same duration and LSA,so idle quality will not be affected at all.
I don't think you'll get 35hp out of it..I'd say probably 20-25 at the crank in a Mustang-I picked up 13 Rear Wheel hp and 18 ft-lbs in my IRS equipped TBird with an automatic.
before and after:

A worthy mod,and actually produces a power increase.
JL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnny Thanks for the Info, do You know what the rough cost was on that Cam swap?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Push said:
Johnny Thanks for the Info, do You know what the rough cost was on that Cam swap?
Depends on what kind of a deal that you can find on the cams.
They're around $200 new,but if you look around on corral,there's a couple of guys ther ethat have some used cams for sale.(mine were used cams,if that matters to you)
Other than that-if you're careful,and take your time,you only need a tube of RTV to dab back onto the mating areas of the head/timing cover,and oil pan/timing cover areas.
No need to drain the coolant,or even the oil for that matter.
JL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know if you forgot to mention it, but are you using the timing adjuster. Several companies have them out. I do know for a fact that Steeda has a nice one. Its a cheap mod, supposedly you get anywhere from 10-20hp out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been reading a lot latly on the 4.6 and My Mod list will be as such , Underdrives (steeda), Steeda timing adjuster, K&N filter with removed air box, I haven't come to a decision on the head situation, Money is a factor right now :( , How about the TB and MAF? what works well on these Motors? with stock injectors

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
you asked if you would need to replace the intake if you did a head swap. In MM&FF they did a 4.6L comparison of all the different 4.6's out there.
They showed picks of the intakes of pre-99 and 99+.
the ports are shaped different on both i believe and you would need to replace your intake with the head swap.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Even though these are both '99 2V heads (LDT on RT) the newer style ports are on the LT.

-Scott

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you do the PI headswap you will most definitley need to replace the intake manifold. If you dont you will get a gross misalignment. All the headswap "kits" I have seen come with the manifold setup, as well as all the needed gaskets and bolt. Do not neglect to change the head bolts...you cant reuse the stocks ones, they are torque to yield. ARP are best for replacement. JMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How difficult of an install is the Steeda timing adjuster? 91octane is the best I can get in my area, is this good enough with the timing altered on a NA GT, or would I need to add octane booster?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts