Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your thought on what you all think it will handle. This is not a debate on weather i should buy a forged 8 bolt or not. Im bout to rip the motor out and my tuner Tony G at H.P performance says i should just leave the crank in. have it checked and by rods and pistons. My question is what will it handle. if it doenst seem to be able to handle power then ill buy an 8 bolt. But lately ive noticed more engine builders like MMR or BBR making built motors with stock cranks. Whats everyones opinions on the matter

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not a motor guru but I haven't heard of a stock crank failing yet.

I'm sure there is a limit on what it will handle, what it is??? It would probably cost 1k difference in the build?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
600 to 650. thats about it. im not to keen on more. i have plenty friends with 7 to 900 rwhp cars and i dont see the point

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
600 to 650. thats about it. im not to keen on more. i have plenty friends with 7 to 900 rwhp cars and i dont see the point
I doubt that you'll have a problem but I look at it this way.
A Kellogg crank can be had for around $400.00. An 8 bolt flywheel can be had for $300.00.

To rebuild a trashed motor cause the crank let go will cost $10,000

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is true. i can get a crank and flywheel at cost, but my tuner is telling me i dont need it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
this is true. i can get a crank and flywheel at cost, but my tuner is telling me i dont need it.
I really don't see what the hesitation is. If you're putting so much money into it anyway why take a chance? I've never understood why people don't want to overbuild, especially if you can get the pieces for cost. :dunno2:

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I doubt that you'll have a problem but I look at it this way.
A Kellogg crank can be had for around $400.00. An 8 bolt flywheel can be had for $300.00.

To rebuild a trashed motor cause the crank let go will cost $10,000
hmm whats the price for a kellog stroker?

·
Registered
158 Posts
...this could go on for days... its up to you. I built a 2v that put down over 600 hp on the stock crank, no problem. The current owner has been throwing all kinds of upgrades for the past two years and still hasn't been able to blow it yet... so...

horsepower is an addiction, worst than any drug, why not overbuild like 2kanchoo said,
don't forget to factor in a new flywheel (8 bolt) thats another 200~300 in the equation, btw, my 3v is scheduled for a rebuild this summer, $400.00 for a forged kellog, where???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts