Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I pulled the ati off due to the blown seal and found a few oz of oil sitting in the piping. The intercooler also has oil sitting in it. The S Trim came in today and I got this far before I needed a coffee break. New #s will come wednesday after a retune at JMS.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
just going to second the congrats on a vortech purchase. curious are you going to use the intercooler from the procharger with the vortech?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
david99fobra said:
just going to second the congrats on a vortech purchase. curious are you going to use the intercooler from the procharger with the vortech?
That's a good question. I've considered doing that but I'm not sure yet. After the blower is rebuilt I might put it on my wife's car or sell it. Just not sure. Michael

·
Registered
810 Posts
Micool, looks great so far , How much boost will you be running on the new set up.

Pete

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
281blwngt said:
Micool, looks great so far , How much boost will you be running on the new set up.

Pete
Hey Pete, We're gonna try the 3.33" pulley with a afm powerpipe and expect to see in the neighborhood of 11 psi along with 400+ rwhp. I'll know for sure tommorrow when JMS gets done retuning it. Michael

·
Registered
115 Posts
evolve You expect to see comparable numbers without an intercooler?

I actually bet he sees a bit of a increase due to the lack of restriction without the intercooler in there.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
david99fobra said:
evolve You expect to see comparable numbers without an intercooler?

I actually bet he sees a bit of a increase due to the lack of restriction without the intercooler in there.
Exactly what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
evolve said:
Same exact boost?
I'm not sure about that. I'm not running a comparison for anyone but am going for the best tune. You know how jms does things so we'll have to see what happens tomorrow. It can't be an apples to apples comparison because the blowers are quite different as you know. I don't doubt ati can make big power at all and I'm not mad at 'em either. I just didn't want to face this problem again and at the advice of jms bought the vortech. Michael

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm just curious, with Chris tuning I'm sure you won't be unhappy with the results.

Obviously you know this, but assuming identical boost levels, I just don't see how colder, denser air won't make more power.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
evolve said:
I'm just curious, with Chris tuning I'm sure you won't be unhappy with the results.

Obviously you know this, but assuming identical boost levels, I just don't see how colder, denser air won't make more power.
I agree. Like I said before, I'm not trying to berate anyone or any product by going with vortech. It was a decision based on advice from my tuner and the possibility of this happening again. If I had bought the D1-SC in the beginning like you did I may not be going through this. I believe that with proper tuning most popular blowers out there will make all the power you want. It was real hard for me to not buy the novi but I ignored the advice of my tuner once and here I am. I love the KB #s but at twice the price of the vortech tuner kit I couldn't justify it when I'm about to tear into the motor and spend a ton more $. Who knows, maybe I'll use the ati intercooler with the vortech when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm very interested to see your numbers, because I'm in a bit of a bind. I want to mod the car further, but I simply have too much money into a blower setup that I don't plan on being able to take advantage of for quite a while. I wouldn't be averse to an alternative that will allow me to stay blown while being able to recoup some losses... ie, a cheaper kit.

You getting tuned today?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
evolve said:
I'm very interested to see your numbers, because I'm in a bit of a bind. I want to mod the car further, but I simply have too much money into a blower setup that I don't plan on being able to take advantage of for quite a while. I wouldn't be averse to an alternative that will allow me to stay blown while being able to recoup some losses... ie, a cheaper kit.

You getting tuned today?
Actually, in about 2 hours I'll be at jms for the retune so I'll have some hard #s and hopefully a graph later tonight. I figure if I sell the ati I'll recover my cost of the vortech.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, got to the dyno today and all seemed to be going well until, clunk, broken u joint. Anyway #s will have to wait until tomorrow. Bummer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
micool said:
Hey Pete, We're gonna try the 3.33" pulley with a afm powerpipe and expect to see in the neighborhood of 11 psi along with 400+ rwhp. I'll know for sure tommorrow when JMS gets done retuning it. Michael
With a 3.33 and power pipe, don't be surprised if you see 12-13# of boost. I saw 12 with the same setup through an IC.

Speaking of IC's, why not use the Procharger one since you are dumping it anyway? You can make it work if you wanted.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Calypso428 said:

Speaking of IC's, why not use the Procharger one since you are dumping it anyway? You can make it work if you wanted.
It's a possibility but I'll probably end up selling it or putting it on my wifes' car after ati rebuilds it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts