Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a buddy whos car is over heating like a beast, while sitting theres no leaks, but underload it spews it everywhere (thermostat housing)

just recent i found out he had the radiator repaired for a hole in it but i cant see that being the problem seeign how it had to have been tested before given back to him. Weve also replaced the thermostat and let the car sit and belch out air, im stumped here

bad thermo housing? replace hoses? any ideas gentlemen? :dunno2:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm going to guess there is still air in the cooling system. Did you fill and bleed it through the crossover tube fitting?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
There is your trouble. The way I like to do it like this.

1. fill the system using a funnel that will fit snuggly in the crossover tube (fill very slow) leave cap on the tank.
2. run the car up to operating temp with the tube open and funnel still in there with coolant sitting in the funnel.
3. shut the car off and let it cool completely back down leaving the funnel in and keep adding coolant (it will drink another half gallon while cooling)
4. repeat above until it will not take any more. (I like to do it 4 times or so, do not rush the job)
5. cap the tube and go for a test drive, let it cool completely and it will need some coolant added to the tank.

This should get you close.

·
Registered
820 Posts
no filled thru the radiator resv
That won't work. You need to fill it through the crossover pipe. It can take a long time to do right (Fill It, Run the Car, Let it cool thoroughly, Check and Fill it again, Repeat as required). Also make sure the car is on level ground.

I've had to do it on more than one occasion, usually takes a while to get it right.

Also, if it has overheated and he has the stock overflow tank it may never seal properly again (I know mine didn't). Overheating it warped the plastic cap/container enough that it never sealed properly again.

I think somebody (maybe Dana) posted some very detailed instructions on the procedure here.

EDIT: Here's one of the ones I remember:

Open reservoir cap.
Open crossover tube.
Fill at crossover tube until the level in the reservoir is where it should be.
Squeeze coolant lines a few times to move fluid/air around and expell any air that might be there.
Place cap back on reservoir.
Continue filling @ crossover tube until full.
Once again, squeeze lines to expell hidden air.
Tighten crossover tube cap.

Get car up to operating temperature (idle is fine).
Let car cool... COMPLETELY... (overnight in this weather)
Fill at crossover tube again.

It's not uncommon for the car to "burp" a bit after the first fill.

This worked every time I tried it. unless you have a cracked reservoir

·
Registered
667 Posts
C'mon man you've been around the Terminator scene for a long time you're honestly telling me that you weren't aware that you had to refill the cooling system through the crossover? I find that hard to believe bro.
That's what happens when you spend all of your time in smack down and the lounge on Svtperformance.com.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
That's what happens when you spend all of your time in smack down and the lounge on Svtperformance.com.
HOLY BATCHIT ROBIN!

It is pretty funny that someone that's been around the scene for a while doesn't know this.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've done this many times as well and the trick I use this is.. it only takes 1 time and I usually nail it right on the money.

1) Open the reservoir cap and fill it up. Wait for the water to drain down.
2) Once it's drained down to the bottom of the reservoir, fill it up again, and put the cap on it.
3) Fill up through the crossover tube until it's all the way full. Squeeze one of the coolant hoses once or twice till the water overflows out of the crossover tube. Fill it up again then cap it.

Idle the car to operating temp and everything should be fine.. you shouldn't have to go back if done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts