Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guy's performing conversions doing to disable PATS?

I have a 6.8 conversion to do for a guy with a Street rod and possibly an '03 Cobra engine(depends on cost) into one of our Aussie falcons.
What are some common catch codes for the EEC's used on these vehicles?
Anyone using a Tweecer?
Is it expensive to get hold of the EEC,MAF and main harness for an '03 Cobra?
Is the new Ford racing 5.0L Modular crate engine main harness a useable piece in this regard?.... I have good reports on it's different configurations available.

Regards,
Pete.

·
Registered
151 Posts
To disable P.A.T.S., you can use a chip from Autologic or a remote start device that wires into the EECV harness.

As for the TwEECer, there is one person that I'm aware of on the forums that uses it and loves it, there may be others. You may have to post a new message in the 4v forum to find these people.

Catch Codes are year / model specific as usual and range from 93 - 94 not sure of the 95 EECIV from Lincolns which require the use of an external EDIS module(Note, the lincoln EECIV ECM and harness is a great alternative to the EECV because there is no PATS, however there is not much support for tuning these). If you want a cruiser It is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, It runs great but not much tuning to be done that I am aware of.
96 - 98 Cobra EECV(LLX3, AOL2, AOL3 and others) for use with 2 coil packs then 99 up for use with Coil On Plug Ignition. I didn't list many catch codes because I do not have a complete list. Also I have seen the GT 2V PCM and harness used with the 4v but was tuned with Autologic.

The best way to deal with the 03 Cobra swap is to get a complete harness from a 03 Cobra donor car if you wish to use Ford Electronics and if you find one, it probably won't be cheap because this swap is popular. Otherwize get the F.A.S.T. system

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dohc,

I'll see if I can come across a complete package but do you happen to know what an EEC,MAF and Harness for an '03 might cost new? Aftermarket engine management is not an option.

I did wonder about the Lincoln EECIV as a possibilty but as you say.. tunabilty is questionable. I am working on DIS configuration of my 5.0 EECIV(running my 351C) but I need to buy a DIS module from the U.S. because they were never used here.

The original EEC is the major stumbling point. The harness I can likely make out of a couple of EECV Falcon harnessesesesss(Harni?).
And I could go aftermarket for the MAF too.
I use the Tweecer in all the conversions I can. Aussie support is minimal unfortunately with only the ones I have cracked being supported.
Do the 6.8's have PATS? Ive heard that trucks don't have it?

Of course the new 5.4 Falcons don't use an EEC at all. It's the new Visteon PCM-122 ECU used here. All are now speed density too(DOH!). We've commenced work on "cracking" this new ECU but it is slow work indeed. Of course there is no J3 and the case must be machined off to get access. Luckily it appears the 555 micro is not a Ford specific device.

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah the 93 - 95 Lincoln Mark VIIIs have the EEC IVs with the EDIS units but they are pretty simple to use for a swap. I did it for a guy with a 64 Galaxy 500.

If you want to stay with an EEC V you can try a 96 Mark VIII. They don't have PATS and that's what I used for my swap into the 95 Mark VIII. The 97/98 Marks all have PATS.

I just picked up a complete harness for a swap the other day from an Mark VIII. I couldn't pass it up, low mileage and got the EEC, VLCR, engine harness, EEC harness for $200. So there's deals to be had. If you use a Mark harness you need to lengthen some of the wires though.

I haven't run into any problems with tuning for the Lincolns. But there is a lack of support from EEC Tuner, Tweecer and so on. This will all be over with by the end of next month with the new stuff coming out from SuperChips.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Snaked,

I just got a new price of $299 for a Cobra EEC with $100 core charge. Sound reasonable?
I would prefer to use the original EEC. If PATS is not disable-able via "chip" on this EEC is it possible to get the PATS module and hook it up as original?

Dohc; What is the remote start device you refer to?

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can install all parts of an original PATS and it will work.

The remote start device is made by some vehicle alarm companies, It wires into the PCM harness and is designed to bypass the PATS for starting a vehicle remotely. You can find a source by searching the web for "remote PATS disable".

$299 + $100 core is pretty stout, the PCMs can be bought for $75 to $200 straight out on eBay and from wrecking yards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only 6.8 that has PATS is the excurion. so stay away from an excursion ecu... do what im doing and get the ecu from a F250 on up truck that came with the 6.8l make sure to match years. the F Trucks dont come with PATS so thats your best bet.

just my 2 cents

-Triton.. aka Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Triton..er Bob,

I think the guy already has an F-series engine complete with harness and EEC. So it should be an easy one.
Anything else I should look out for? maybe in regards to trans/VSS and the like?

Thanks again,

Pete.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The only 6.8 that has PATS is the excurion. so stay away from an excursion ecu... do what im doing and get the ecu from a F250 on up truck that came with the 6.8l make sure to match years. the F Trucks dont come with PATS so thats your best bet.

just my 2 cents

-Triton.. aka Bob
I'm pretty sure the 5.4 I just pulled from an 03 f150 has pats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
disable or live with PATS

first off this is my first post, so if i screw up someone will let me know. what i am doing is installing an 05 5.4 3v into a 1968 ford xl .things are going pretty well, engine is in and in the process of hooking things up. want to use the stock ECU 5L3A-12A12A650-ASH. also 05 150 gauge cluster, and whatever else i have to use. thanks Carl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts