Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2006 Auto GT. The car has thrown this CEL three times in the last two weeks: P0340 CAM POS S CIR ER 1 5 1 CEL

I took it to the dealer and they confirmed it is NOT the TSB about the Alternator (TBS 06-1912) but then wouldn't do anything else since I have an aftermarket tune in it. It is also out of warranty so I won't be going back if I can avoid it.

So, where do I start?

First question: which side is this (I'm assuming I have two cam sensors right?).

Second, what should I check before I start to replace parts? How can I check the cam positioning sensor?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ditto. I have seen this many times. First order is to check your wires. A simple issue is something like a grounded wire. Many times this happens from the header heat melting through the wire...:tip:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I checked the wiring an didn't see any visible signs of damage. I unplugged the sensor and plugged it back it.

last 2 times it tripped within 10 miles of resetting, but this morning 25+ miles and nothing, so maybe it was lose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I swapped the sensors side to side and the code came back 20 miles later, same bank, so it probably isn't the sensor.

I visually inspected the wires from the sensor into the bigger part of the wiring harness and I don't see any cuts, burns or even scrapes.

Any idea what to do next? Is there a specific area elsewhere on the wiring harness that people have had issues?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Id take it to a different dealer. I bet its still the alternator. I'm on my second alternator and I need to set an appointment to get it replaced. It would intermittently throw the same code as yours. Id clear the code and it would come back later. Took it to the dealer couldnt find a problem. Then the code came back and even if id clear it, it would come back after driving a short distance. My mustang is my daily driver so being without it till they decide to give me a rental is going to cause me a huge inconvience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts