Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys for about the past 4weeks my car has been throwing the P0340 cam pos sens. code with no noticed driveability issues ...well tonight I started my car drove to the gas station put about 6 gallons 93 oct. and started to get on the highway. I stabbed into the throttle goin thru 1st-3rd enjoying the cold air, I shifted into 6th and started to coast back to the speed limit when my car went into FAILSAFE ENGINE MODE and shut off....I would turn the key on and off a few times to clear it...it will start only when its cleared then it will idle as soon as i put it into 1st and ease off the clutch it goes into failsafe mode and shuts off...I went thru this procedure for 3 miles getting it home lol Tomorrow im going to start with replacing my cam sensor..another thought I have is replacing that cam phaser, about a yr and 1/2 ago I messed up the cam phaser on my passenger side when I was doin my heads and cams. I put a new one on it and havent had any probs. yet but I was told by my tuner that the 05's had cam phaser issues and that I need to replcae my other cam phaser...so if the sensor doesnt cure the prob. is it possible the phser is boogering up and the car is shutting off to save piston to valve damage??!!! Anything I may have over looked please let me know:dunno2:, tomorrow before I pop the hood Ill check here to see what yall brain storm and I ll let yall know what I come up with....thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
i'd swap the sensors around (driver to passenger), clear the code and see if the same code returns on the same bank (even though you've swapped out the seemingly faulty sensors) then it's likely to be your Alternator causing electrical interference (a rather common case that triggers bogus Cam position sensor fault codes)

however, if the code shows up for the other bank (P0345) it means the sensor is actually bad and you should replace it

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just my opinion.......

I have been involved with several 05/06 vehicles that had the P0340 code. In each and every case it was either the alternator or on Saleeen S/C'd vehicles a wiring issue that was the result of poor connections at the extension harness(s). None of these resulted in a Failsafe mode or the driveability issues you described, just a CEL.

I believe you have another issue causing your Failsafe mode.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info guys..I popped my hood this morning and it was staring me in the face...my IAT sensor popped out from where I relocated it in front of the throttle body lol Major pain in a** for such a simple fix :) Glad it was simple but I was hoping it would blow up on the way home, been looking for an excuse to go forged

1 - 5 of 5 Posts