Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am running ford gt pumps and PPRV delete with no BAP. After install of the ford gt pumps months ago i would occasionally see the fuel gauge act weird. It will act full when it wasn't, or act empty when it was more than half full. The problem went away for months until I unhooked the battery to do the wiring upgrade. And then after it was done it read a full tank when I knew it was a 1/4 tank full. Then I put 7 gallons in and it read about right until I started driving and looked at my gauge and it read empty with the low fuel light on. Any idea on what might be causing this? I wired it up like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

· Registered
168 Posts
The wiring should have nothing to do with the gauge functionality. My guess is something is wrong with the float assembly itself. Did you remove it to get the hat off? It could have gotten bent or knocked out place pretty easily.

· Registered
5,035 Posts
It's very common for people to install new fuel pumps and inadvertently ground the level sender to one of the points with the rubber bushing. This makes a very intermittent ground...

· Demented and old
5,289 Posts
It's very common for people to install new fuel pumps and inadvertently ground the level sender to one of the points with the rubber bushing. This makes a very intermittent ground...
+2 had the same thing happen on mine

· Registered
5,035 Posts
No sorry I don't have a picture. Basically you have the main hanger. The fuel level sender gets attached to that with 2 screws, but there are small isolation grommets. If you ground to one of the mounting points of the level sender, you are using an intermittently isolated ground...

There is a Pierce Extruded Tapped hole further down on the main hanger. That's where you want the ground wire.

Google image search brought me here:
http://www.modularfords.com/f188/03-04-cobra-dual-pump-fuel-137601/

Can't really see where the ground wire connects, but hopefully with my description above you'll figure it out easily with the parts in front of you.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No sorry I don't have a picture. Basically you have the main hanger. The fuel level sender gets attached to that with 2 screws, but there are small isolation grommets. If you ground to one of the mounting points of the level sender, you are using an intermittently isolated ground...

There is a Pierce Extruded Tapped hole further down on the main hanger. That's where you want the ground wire.

Google image search brought me here:
http://www.modularfords.com/f188/03-04-cobra-dual-pump-fuel-137601/

Can't really see where the ground wire connects, but hopefully with my description above you'll figure it out easily with the parts in front of you.
The ground wire is the yellow one correct?

Attachments

· Registered
339 Posts
I used the instrument cluster test and I pulled a fuel 255 code. Which indicates an open.
page 5
https://acrobat.com/app.html#d=55gJG8oS8SZS3bQqY411pA
do you need more info for testing..cell-60,ground locations,,,,.i thought it was a wiring problem also ....pinpoint test B ....

did you get any DTC code while doing cluster test?

you did the work thought something would jump out and you just made a mistake when going thru testing...

in the pic you posted it shows 2 different grounds..are they the same still?

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
do you need more info for testing..cell-60,ground locations,,,,.i thought it was a wiring problem also ....pinpoint test B ....

did you get any DTC code while doing cluster test?

you did the work thought something would jump out and you just made a mistake when going thru testing...

in the pic you posted it shows 2 different grounds..are they the same still?
I know it's not the wiring upgrade since I was having problems before I did it. I did get a DTC code while doing the cluster test (D043, 9202). The D043 is for invalid or missing data for Traction Control, but I have it turned off in the tune so that explains that, and the 9202 is Fuel Sender Open.

· Registered
339 Posts
I know it's not the wiring upgrade since I was having problems before I did it. I did get a DTC code while doing the cluster test (D043, 9202). The D043 is for invalid or missing data for Traction Control, but I have it turned off in the tune so that explains that, and the 9202 is Fuel Sender Open.
the pic of fuel pump you asked if yellow wire was ground? wire diagram shows yellow/white as positive,,,black/orange as ground ...

pin test b2...

there is a break in the line...connector C314 ...seeing you had issues just follow the code...

9202 is yellow/white wire...fuel sender signal

9204 is black/orange wire ..fuel sender ground

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
the pic of fuel pump you asked if yellow wire was ground? wire diagram shows yellow/white as positive,,,black/orange as ground ...

pin test b2...

there is a break in the line...connector C314 ...seeing you had issues just follow the code...

9202 is yellow/white wire...fuel sender signal

9204 is black/orange wire ..fuel sender ground
I'm ordering the Kurgan Motorsports fuel hat on Monday. No sense in dropping the tank twice. I know the problem has to be in the tank since it started having intermittent problems after i did the pprv delete and the GT pump install..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.