Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the driveshaft have to be changed when swapping to a live axle? Any hints for me? I'm gonna start on this soon.
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
i didnt change the drive shaft, but id id swap the yoke out of the IRS pumpkin, and the live axle. I don't know if this is the "correct" to do it, but I've had no problems yet (only about 10 passes and maybe 500 miles) I'll come back to bug ya though.....gotta run for now

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...Any other tips?

·
Registered
64 Posts
re:

dude its a driect replacement. they have not changed the chassis is years they are all the same I have a 98 rear end. and it bolted rightr in(its shorter about a ") but new axels will change that. have fun do some c clip eliminators too pending on how fast you wanna go. I am shooting for 8's by the end of the season with petes help

·
Registered
129 Posts
as 98 GT said, it's a direct swap, very simple and straight forward. As for any "tips", I didnt run into any issues that stick right out, but be sure to have some friends there to help you move the IRS, cause it's rather HEAVY! Also, if you wanna runa 15" slick, use the brakes from the GT, as i've been told that 15's won't clear the cobra brakes....I never even tried on mine, it's got GT rear brakes. Also, here is a page by Joe Lynch that I followed along and it hit everything square on the head. http://www.lx.net/jlynch/swapprocedure.html
If you need any other kinda help, shoot me a PM or call 806.441.4365, and I'll hope my memory serves well! Take care and good luck with tha swap! Charles

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that it is a direct replacement...but I'm not swapping with another car. I am buying the rear and piecing everything together. Here is a list of what I think I'll need other than the 8.8 and GT brakes

Control Arms
Catback
springs
shocks
parking brake cable

BTW - what did you guys do about traction control? I'm not sure if this car had it or not.

Thanks....I've been studying JLynch's website for awhile now...hopefully it'll go smooth. I need to get all these parts first :shocked

·
Registered
129 Posts
well, I don't have ABS anymore since the axles IU have are 33 spline units, they are too big for the ABS rings to be pressed onto. Not a big problem to me but just be sure to snage the GT speed sensors as I'm not sure if the Cobra Sensor will fit(I know it would work, but the length of wire may be different) or as another option, you can have a set of sensor wires off my 98 GT, one is almost brand new as some idiot got it caught into a bind and pinched the wire!:eek: Anyho, your list looks good to me, I think, as I used the stock suspension and brakes out of my GT(good thing I kept all the old, wortheless parts lying around!). I'll kick some ideas around a bit and see if there is anything i missed, but you should be set!

Note: I used my original parking brake cable on the GT brakes<-----is this right? I havent had any problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
re:

here is some more stuff I will be adding in the next week and I can tell you how they turn out if you want. http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=64&cat=K-Members
as well as
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=67&cat=Torque+Box+Kits
I will also have front drag shocks from (brian fart)
I forgot
well there on back order so they will be a while
slicks will be 27 15 11.5 goodyears or hoosiers
plus c clip eleminators and moser axels 33 spline

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna see if I can pick up some of the rear suspension parts at WFC...hopefully I can find everything I need a little cheaper there. Thanks for the info guys...I'm sure I'll have more questions later :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts