Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a white cobra 03 with 1100 miles. I noticed that it looks like there are small red specs visible in the paint on the entire car. The specs are small and dispersed and are only visible when you are around 2 feet away or closer. These specs can also be felt. The car still has a good shine and looks good when viewed from several feet away. I am not sure if I should try to get it repainted. Will they repaint it, and will the new paint job be as good as a factory paint job? It is the oxford white color. Any suggestions apreciated. Thanks.

Mods
drop in Kand N filter, put silencer back on after reading 5.0 cold air shoot out. Steeda shifter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
rail dust

I think what u are seeing is prolly what is referred to as rail dust. It is literally cast iron that has settled on your paint. Go get a clay bar ( I use Clay Magic), keep it well lubed, and the specs will come right off. After you complete this step, wash it real good with Dawn, then polish then wax.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wondering where to get the clay bar you mentioned? Also I tried just waxing and this did not remove the specs as it appears they are somewhat embedded in the paint, possibly just the clear coat. I did not want to use rubbing compound.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Clay bars can be purchased at just about any auto store like Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Adnvacne Auto Sales, etc. Get the Mequirs clay bar and follow the directions and you will get good results.

·
Registered
438 Posts
pgordon said:
Just wondering where to get the clay bar you mentioned? Also I tried just waxing and this did not remove the specs as it appears they are somewhat embedded in the paint, possibly just the clear coat. I did not want to use rubbing compound.
The Autozone has just recently started carrying The Clay Magic bar and lubricant kit. Also, any of the others mentioned above will work fine, I just prefer the Clay Magic cause the bar is a little larger.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
MODCOBRA said it all. My buddy thought I was crazy claying a new car. I know better though..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a little bit of work but worth the effort and much better than getting it repainted. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
481 Posts
i dont think that you should use DAWN :rolleyes: to wash the car when done... i would get a good "car wash" to wash your car with...

·
Registered
438 Posts
TopRacer said:
i dont think that you should use DAWN :rolleyes: to wash the car when done... i would get a good "car wash" to wash your car with...
I only use Dawn cause it will remove all of the lubricant you use with the clay bar. Normally, I use a good car wash soap as to not remove the wax.

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a little bit of work but worth the effort and much better than getting it repainted. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
352 Posts
you wont be sorry..it is a bit of work but well worth the effort...my 96 Cobra sat outside for 3 years while we were rebuiilding it and looked like crap...we clayed it and as you can see by the pics of it in April MMFF .. that was all it needed to bring the shine back...
Linn

·
Registered
34 Posts
pgordon,

CLAYBAR is the WAY to go. My brother just came by with his A6 4.2. He clipped the side of his garage. Claybar and a little elbow grease and it looks great. The night I brought my car home I washed, claybar'd, washed with Dawn and then Zaino'd. Looks incredible.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I always clay bar my new cars. It is amazing what gets in the paint in that short trip from Detroit!

Good Luck,

Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds like the clay bar is slightly abrasive, but not to the extend of rubbing compound. It also sounds like it does not damage the clear coat or paint if instructions are followed and is ok to use on a new car. Thanks again for the additional feedback.

Other vehicles.
91 5.0 lx- cold air kit, 373 gears, jba shorties, custom chip.

77 Ford Tbird-351M stock-engine-everything works but the clock.
Gets worse gas mileage than the (03 cobra taking it easy), but seats 6.

2000 Mustang GT stock- trying to sell as the cobra replaced this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The clay bar is not at all abrasive. I really wish I understood how it works, but it does seem like some sort of black magic. You use the lube and the bar, and the paint is remarkably cleaned and smoothed. If you run your hand over what was just clayed and compare to an area of what appears to be a clean car, you can't believe how much smoother and less abrasive the paint feels in the clayed area.

JT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tried mothers clay bar

I tried the Mothers' clay bar and it did greatly smooth the surface which could be imediately felt. Unfortunately the specs where not removed and are still visible after working on a small section for about 10 minutes. Even though the specs can not be felt, they are still visible. I tried the product on the 77 tbird with original paint and it worked great, creating a new paint look after wash and wax.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Try to find you the clay bar product called Clay Magic. If u cannot find it in your local parts store, go to the an auto paint store and they should have it. There are two grades.....red...is more agressive....blue is the fine. I have used both. Keep working with it with a little more "pressure" and they will come out.

Good Luck,
Ben

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I managed to take out a piece of dirt that got onto my front bumper when the paint was still wet. It left two small dimples in the paint, so it was definatley wet when it got on there. It took about 5 minutes just for that one spot. I just kept going back and forth and slowly rotating it each pass so it was hit by clean clay each time. It was a bitch but it did come out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like it may be worth it to go to a good paint shop and get the correct bar as well as an estimate of the amount of work involved. I am guessing there were some contanimants the car was exposed to before the paint or clear coat was completely dry. I have a warranty on the paint but am hesitant to take back to the dealer. I am not sure if they would fix it, and not sure if they would give me a rental and if they do fix it, not sure if they would fix it correctly. I have bought 4 other brand new cars (much cheaper cars too) but have not had this problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah

I had what looked like little little black dots...could have been red on my yellow paint. I didnt notice them until I washed my car the first time. Have to be nose to the paint to see them. I used Meguiars Scratch X and they came out gradually over several coats. Now they are all gone.....took forever though

1 - 20 of 36 Posts